No announcement yet.

1.46.10 - Matte/Shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had that problem before, I don't remember exactly how I worked around it but I believe I screen mapped the background image onto the matte plane into the reflection channel or something, sorry I can't be more specific. If I can find the file I'll let you know.

now I remember actually flipside posted some stuff on it too.

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ighlight=matte

http://www.chaoticdimension.com/foru...ighlight=matte
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Eric "Searchmaster" Boer

I think I just realized what it is. It's the VRayLight casting GI shadows. Or Occluding GI whichever.

--Jon

Comment

uhuh, actually I am cursed to remember everything you guys write :P
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

Have you messed around with the light and dark multipliers? I noticed when i set my dark mulitplier to 2 (light to 1.0) the matte object showed up when i rendered. I set it back to 1/1 and it worked as expected again.

Not sure if that's a feature or a bug?

-Z
          Chris
          The Revitlution

Comment

We tried even a new scene with nothing more than a teapot and a plane and a image screen mapped to the environment (for the background...obviously).
            The vray light was causing the problem...i.e. turning it off and just skylight would render fine.

Or using a spotlight would be fine, but if I turned on Area shadows for the spotlight and made the size quite large it would exhibit the same problem as with the vray light.

So there is no definite fix for this...only work-arounds???

Comment

Just to add to it .... my plane wasnt at 0,0,0 ... on the Z axis would that make difference ? i cant see it really but hey .. but nothing that i tried worked, i keep getting the same poor results.
              Natty
              http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

It's not a bug, this is how things are supposed to work - after all, the booth does block a substantial amount of light near it. You can try to make the plane larger so as to hide the boundary, or to change your environment color to make effect fade away more quickly.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

but no matter what i do i can always still see the plane? ... surely thats not right... i did try to make the plane huge so it covered most of the image but you can only go as for as the horizon...so the image ends up with 2 different tones...
                  Natty
                  http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

It does seem to act weird to me as well.
                    See these quick examples below.
                    *Note the only mesh in this scene is the teapot and the matte plane. The rest of the image is a pre-rendered image used as the background.

To me the first render looks wrong, the other 2 look right.

Vray Light and skylight. Matte plan is clearly seen and is affecting the color of the background

Just skylight, you cant see the matte plane at all and its not affecting the background

Skylight and a spotlight, you cant see the matte plane at all and its not affecting the background. Ignore the cut off shadow...i used a small plane to be able to see the problem in the first render easier

Comment

DaForce, it will be helpful if you can send me that scene; I can't reproduce this effect here.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

whats the best email addy to send it to?

Comment

Never mind, found it.

Sending now......................................Sent

Comment

Strangely enough, for me at least, this is how vray has handled it since the early days. I even seem to remember posting something about this and other related matteshadow issues a while back. Definately hope to see a fix for this. My workaround so far has been to fiddle with the "matte controlls" operator in combustion, along with the alpha levels operator, but one always loses shadow fidelity that way.
                            Signing out,
                            Christian

Comment

Any news on this Vlado?

Did the scene that i sent you help? or had i just stuffed something up

Comment

Working...
                              X