No announcement yet.

Holy $h1T!!! Vray buys Corona!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very exciting! And congrats to both parties. Looking forward to new developments in both corona and vray.
    www.peterguthrie.net
    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
    www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

This is very good news for both "teams"
      Better to work together than to fight each other.
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Originally posted by thanulee View Post
        Curious why all corona users are complaining. In fb posts they all are like "nooooo"
        I dont get it why its bad really since softwares wont actually merge. People have a tendency to drama nowadays!
        They may be worried because they are afraid that their favorite software may now be relegated to "entry level" status because of the price point compared to V-Ray. And perhaps, they may feel that as artists, this makes them seem "entry level" as well.

Based on what I have seen from the folks at Chaos Group over the years, what they are most likely going to find is that their software will be treated with the respect it deserves and that the Chaos Group will not do anything to bring down the perceived value and quality of Corona and market it as an extremely viable alternative to the more costly V-ray, positioning both renderers as high-quality professional products.

And I'd predict that going forward, a sharing of technology (if that can happen) will only benefit everyone who purchases Chaos Group products in the future.

Just my .02$

-Alan

Comment

Most exciting part is that assets will be able to be shared between them. That is going to be a game changer!

Comment

I could imagine Corona was taking a major chunk out of the bottom line and there was no end in site. V-Ray was forced to adopt or loose users, but it might have been too late, so they bought the competitor. Like mentioned by Lele, we all have been burned before, so we might be jaded. We had V-Ray fanboys and Corona fanboys and it was heathy competition; we were both cheering for are own team. Now, no competition, which means slow growth. This is where a new players sneaks in to take all the users who feel duped.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

great news for both engines. will be interesting to see if they do stay independent over the long term, or if they're going to be sharing tech - its already been mentioned that corona will be implementing VRay's DMC - if at some point they don't merge...
              having said that autodesk have successfully kept max and maya apart...

i hope corona keep their pricing structure too...?

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post
                I could imagine Corona was taking a major chunk out of the bottom line and there was no end in site. V-Ray was forced to adopt or loose users, but it might have been too late, so they bought the competitor. Like mentioned by Lele, we all have been burned before, so we might be jaded. We had V-Ray fanboys and Corona fanboys and it was heathy competition; we were both cheering for are own team. Now, no competition, which means slow growth. This is where a new players sneaks in to take all the users who feel duped.
                fstorm maybe?

Comment

this is great news. i have been wanting more vfx features in corona for ages and more simplicity and some of the simpler arch vis features like lens effects from corona in vray for ages.

Comment

Originally posted by coolhand78 View Post

fstorm maybe?
                    My thought, however, their gallery is a little to be desired.
                    Bobby Parker
                    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by squintnic View Post
                      this is great news. i have been wanting more vfx features in corona for ages and more simplicity and some of the simpler arch vis features like lens effects from corona in vray for ages.
                      Corona's lens effects in V-Ray would be great, but that would be all V-Ray could benefit from Corona, in my opinion. V-Ray has gotten just as easy for me to use as Corona is.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Came across this footage of the announcement from YouTuber "KevinTheDane", found it both entertaining and informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOlVBsIenzg

Comment

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...277#post965277

Has the uncommented, whole announcement from the D2 conference.
                          Lele
                          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                          ----------------------
                          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by glorybound View Post

Corona's lens effects in V-Ray would be great, but that would be all V-Ray could benefit from Corona, in my opinion. V-Ray has gotten just as easy for me to use as Corona is.
                            Lens Effects, their post production tool (similar to Arion FX), light mixer, dome light, interactivity of IPR... There is some stuff V-Ray could improve on.
                            https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

And the Q&A session.
                              https://www.facebook.com/d2conferenc...8462467010941/
                              Lele
                              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                              ----------------------
                              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Hmm, right now `interesting` is the word. I can understand the corona users frustration. It`s a little hard not to imagine the destruction or more likely merging at some future date because of how other previous acquisitions/mergers have worked in the past. Maybe it will make a better super-product, maybe some personality will be lost, Who knows ?
                                As a vray user i`ve looked over at corona as a potential successor to vray for us but it was never quite `there`, but with fast development speed and great new features announced for 1.7 it was worth looking at again. The difficulty with changing renderer is the legacy of files we already have.
                                For me Vray 3.5/3.6 has been a disappointment as we`ve not been able to use either version. Maybe it`s because I watch the forums and see the bugs talked about daily that put me off moving us up to the latest or the direct issues I`ve had myself and reported. I just can`t have the hassle of software not working properly(although I admit 3.4 has it`s share of issues too and don`t get me started on 3dsmax!). I know there are always workarounds but I really need things to work correctly without the extra time it takes to workaround them. Vray adaptive rendering has potential but it also has issues so if we were to use 3.6 we would have to turn it off so there`s no benefit currently. Maybe once those issues are ironed out a few more versions on and we can join the fun. I get that software is complex, heck Samsung just bricked a bunch of TVs with a firmware update. Anyway I`m digressing too much.
                                Interesting times indeed, the thing is if technology/knowledge is shared surely a blending of the two is inevitable as the best features from each would likely be adopted by both ? Obviously a far date in the future.
                                For now maybe just give the bugs to Ondra, see if he can fix them ? hehe.
                                I vote for Corovoronoray. Just rolls of the tongue !

Comment

Working...
                                X