White balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White balance

How are you all doing it? If I set my interior lights to 4100k my space is awfully orange. It seems it might make sense to leave all your lights at white and warm it up in post production. What is a "normal" workflow?
    Last edited by glorybound; 06-09-2017, 03:12 PM.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Old tut might worth a check http://www.skyscapeviz.com/white-bal...up-with-v-ray/
      www.yellimages.com

Comment

Originally posted by thanulee View Post
        I basically do that, but I pick something in my scene that should be white. It works, but like you would expect, the scene gets very cold. Wouldn't leaving all your artificial lights to white be easier and just doing it in post production?
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

What u do is the same yes. I tend to use "neutral" in my exposure and set white balance to 6500k. Therefore if i want warm sources, i go down in Kelvin.
          If u pick proper white in ur scene, u shouldnt have a cold scene though, but a balanced one overall while maintaining ur warm and cold tones.
          www.yellimages.com

Comment

I set all my lights to the same temperature (D65, 6,500k), unless it's a colored accent light. Then I tweak the temperature in the frame buffer if necessary. I'm typically more concerned with conveying actual designer-picked color palettes, than re-creating real-world photography headaches.
            Work:
            Dell Precision T7910, Dual Xeon E5-2640 v4 @ 2.40GHz | 32GB RAM | NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5gb | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
            V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:52 | GPU 00:32

Home:
            AMD Threadripper 1950X 3.4GHz 16-Core | 32GB RAM | (2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB
            V-Ray Benchmark: CPU 00:47 | GPU 00:34
            https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kXKcxG

Comment

I think i recall Mr. Guthrie saying he set his lights to 1100k under the camera's white balance in this scene: http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2011/06/twins

Not 100% sure on that but it could be worth a try.
              James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
              Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post
                I think i recall Mr. Guthrie saying he set his lights to 1100k under the camera's white balance in this scene: http://www.peterguthrie.net/blog/2011/06/twins

Not 100% sure on that but it could be worth a try.
                Darn, that's low. I follow the 6500 workflow too and adjust the other lights as needed. I think that 6500K is the approximation of the K value for the VRay sun for white balance. Correct me someone if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by padre.ayuso View Post

Darn, that's low. I follow the 6500 workflow too and adjust the other lights as needed. I think that 6500K is the approximation of the K value for the VRay sun for white balance. Correct me someone if I'm wrong.
                  Mmmm perhaps you misunderstood. To clarify, if the Cam's white balance was set to 6500K, the lights would be 1100 under that (equaling 5400k) ...I THINK...
                  James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
                  Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelcon View Post

Mmmm perhaps you misunderstood. To clarify, if the Cam's white balance was set to 6500K, the lights would be 1100 under that (equaling 5400k) ...I THINK...
                    Yes I misunderstood! That makes more sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X