Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An idea for Vray - Bake Point Node

Hi guys,

Before suggesting this to Chaos group in the Wishlist forums I wanted to discuss it with people to get more opinions on this idea. I'm not sure if my idea is really good because I don't have much experience baking textures. Also people may be concerned where chaos group place their R&D resources.

My idea is that Chaos Group Make a "VRayBakePoint" node. When working in slate Material Editor, use VRayBakePoint to bake anything into an image. It would be very fast and easy to use. It would work with UDIMS. The Bake Point would Store the baked result of the children nodes.You would not need a complicated interface like the 3ds max bake UI.

In Mari, there is a node called Bake Point (see the link, you may need to scroll down until you see it.) You can make very complicated texture networks that are editable and then plug the stream into a bake point which bakes it all into an image.

What do you think? a good idea?

This way you can make super complex networks that are editable then bake point them. The render engine would not need to calculate as much. And if you want to make changes just delete the Bake Cache, make changes and then re-bake.

Steve ~

It has been suggested before; it can definitely be a useful idea, but I don't know if/when it will be implemented. Some maps like the Falloff map cannot be baked though...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado,

Comment

Sorry Vlado,

I just realised I would still really like this feature even with the limitations you mentioned above. I have found myself editing many complex maps in Vray to see what the look like in render. I would like to bake the complex networks out so I can edit in Photoshop.

I think it would still be useful.

Hopefully something like that would be easy to code?

Thank again Vlado

Steve ~

Comment

Whilst it's more convoluted than what you're asking, I sometimes render the maps out from the material editor when they're layered up. I'm usually too lazy to make them tilable so I make them big enough that it doesn't need to tile. A method to do the whole shader and name the output correctly would be awesome.
          Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
          Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

Comment

Is this what you are after?

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/sc...-baking-script

Comment

I'll give that a go but yes - looks cool

Comment

Originally posted by Neilg View Post
                Yes that's exactly what I need too! Thanks
                Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
                Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,