Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering Fluids with VRay + 3ds Max 2018 Bifr

Hi,

I'm currently experimenting with the "power" (or lack thereof) of the new 3ds Max 2018 Update 3 fluid solver. More specifically rendering it with VRay. I am quite new to the fluid segment in general although I do know my way around sims in general to a degree where I can work towards a goal :P. Now actually rendering fluids and associated effects like foam/mist, bubbles and all that stuff - not so much.

Are there good resources on how to render fluids and assoicated effects with VRay, maybe even with the now incorporated solver in max? How are channels used, how do I actually render the foam, how do I get proper motionblur, all that stuff.

Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

For motion blur, choose the map channel to export velocity. Then choose the channel in VRayProperties.
    Liquid material is ID1 and Foam is ID2.
    I don't think you can render foam directly yet. You may choose sphere and render.

Comment

That is very helpful for starters, thank you.
      Software:
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

What would be some of the regular use cases for different channels data inside of VRay (not talking about post)?
        Software:
        3ds Max 2016 SP4
        V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
        64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by gandhics View Post
          For motion blur, choose the map channel to export velocity. Then choose the channel in VRayProperties.
          This is what i've been trying to acomplish, wIthout success so far. After liquid sim i mesh using the cache mesh with the default Add Channels: 2:Velocity. Check in vray properties of the liquid that velocity channel is set to 2, hit render but still no mblur. Is there a step i'm not doing?

I also tried bringing the exported prt into max, meshed with frost, but again no mblur in vray.

Comment

Originally posted by chris_img View Post

This is what i've been trying to acomplish, wIthout success so far. After liquid sim i mesh using the cache mesh with the default Add Channels: 2:Velocity. Check in vray properties of the liquid that velocity channel is set to 2, hit render but still no mblur. Is there a step i'm not doing?

I also tried bringing the exported prt into max, meshed with frost, but again no mblur in vray.
            Propably dumb, but did you enable the Motion Blur in the camera? And settings that would actually produce blur, like a slow shutter speed?
            Software:
            3ds Max 2016 SP4
            V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
            64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

I did, a scene with a teapot matching the velocity over 3 frames and used a regular vray setup that gives good results usually. The teapot blured as you would expect. I take it you have had success?

Comment

Yep, I did have success using the aforementioned way. Maybe it has something to do with source frames? Did you like only simulate one frame but need 3 to get motion blur? Grasping at straws here :P Do you have the sim actually cached to a mesh or have some sort of preview mesh rendering? Do the contents of the specified channel get overridden by something else in your setup?
                Software:
                3ds Max 2016 SP4
                V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

May ask a favour? Here's my scene, its super basic. If you have the time, i would be really thankfull if you could see if you can get it working. Or if you have a scene that works, could you send it to me?

thanks for all your help.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Edit: nvm...
                    Last edited by Art48; 11-10-2017, 02:11 AM.
                    Software:
                    3ds Max 2016 SP4
                    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

You started this thread by talking about Max 2018, so someone comes up with a scene and you want him to give it to you in Max 2016 which doesn't support fluids? I don't get it.

Comment

You are absolutely right, Sorry. It's just that we work with Max 2016 and I am full on in 3ds max 2016 thinking, and I didn't have 2018 at the workstation I was at the moment I responded. I am dumb.
                        Software:
                        3ds Max 2016 SP4
                        V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                        64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Ah, i see, i was confused for a moment!

Comment