Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Motocross race with plenty of bikes going around the course - how would you go about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motocross race with plenty of bikes going around the course - how would you go about this?

Hi?
    Another client request, another task to solve
    I was asked to create an animation about a motocross race.
    The twist is, it`s gonna be 1000 Riders in that race!

I?m wondering for days now how to approach something like this and i didn`t found a thing recherching the net about it.
    I have different ways in my mind already but all of them seems to be problematic at some point.
    As the course is not flat for sure, bikes ideally should go over the jumps, slow down in curves etc.

1. A simple path constraint won`t work i guess, but here i could just use vrayproxies for the bikes and riders
    2. Using a script/Plugin like a Trafficsimulator, best looking thing i found was the ant traffic script but it`s not for motocycles only 4 oand more wheelers
    3. Take madcar and rig a bike, record it through the track, did that before in my Red Bull Soapbox animation, but then how to proceed? Need i to do that for 1000 bikes, no way...
    4. Use Forestpack to scatter those bikes, but a recorded bike will get out of course when i scatter it next to the original...

Closest thing i found was the tour de france game (see screenshot),
    Click image for larger version

Name:	92544801-medium.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	982314

hmm when they can do it in a game we should be able to fake it somehow in 3ds max or not, but i don`t get it, any ideas?

Sorry if it seems a little off topic to vray, i was hesitating posting it, but then on one hand i thought hey it`s about vrayproxy's and on the other hand, is there any active 3ds max forum out there?
    For me it seems smartest people found always in here hehe!

As always really looking forward to your ideas and thanks in advance!
    OLIKA
    www.olika.de

You could possibly do it with pflow (bit of a setup to avoid bike intersections) and VrayInstancer.
    Gavin Jeoffreys
    Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

You could use the Vray proxy time shifter script https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aWrRgqP1_Q
      to create variations of a pre simulated / animated bikers you could then use / write a simple script to apply different materials to the proxies.
      That would give you sufficient variation for a 1,000 strong race the dirt, dust and smoke would also go a long way towards hiding any duplication.

There is an article on how they did something similar to the create the crowds for the last Hunger Games film.

Comment

Particle flow definitely with collision check.
        Available for remote work.
        My LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegbudeanu/

Comment

Thank you so much for your ideas and input!
          Are you guys active in any other 3d forum? Not really a clue where to look at nowadays, discussing things like that?
          Made some good process already,
          It?s a particle flow setup now, conformed those on the track and let them follow a speed by icon helper.
          Took me some time to fiddle out the behavior of the bike instance when you connect it to the particle, i.e. like following terrain, going up and down on kickers and baking in the turns.
          Funny sidefact: For how long do you work with 3ds max and still find some menues you never been before!
          Happened to me again while working in particle flow. Discovered the data sub operator stuff which i never messed around with before...journey never stops i guess!

All the setup looking so far, still searching for a simple way to let some of the bikers do some jumps over the kickers, let`s see
          Working also on a little "work in progress" clip, will upload asap! Have a nice weekend
          OLIKA
          www.olika.de

Comment

Sorry for my late reply... buuut it was a hell of a job!
            Took me quite some time to challenge it and needed some holiday badly after it.

Proud to share it with you now:

Dit is de track van Red Bull knock Out 2018
            OLIKA
            www.olika.de

Comment

Wow, looks very nice!
              How did you manage the crowds?

Comment

Crazy stuff here !
                I would also be happy to know how did you manage the bikers...
                I wishes you a very nice holiday !
                (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

Hi ijzerman86, rikou ,
                  just made a little breakdown clip hope that gives you further insights of how i fiddled it out
                  https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...rack-animation
                  also i have a little older clip about my crowd setup, you can find it here:
                  https://vimeo.com/211195201
                  Pretty much like the bikers now: Getting the models done with FUSE and let it automatically rig with the help of mixamo,
                  create an animated loop and scatter it via forestpack, have some randomness in the shader too
                  OLIKA
                  www.olika.de

Comment

Thanks a lot Olika !!
                    It's really pleasant to see your work and tips !
                    (Sorry for my bad english)

Comment

That is very impressive ! Congratulations on the excellent work!
                      Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                      www.AddYourLight.com
                      Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Maybe you've heard about TyFlow (The new independent Particle Flow developed by Tyson Ibele), I saw that exemple of crowd simualtion and immediatly think about your project.
                        https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnk70gog...en-by=_tyflow_
                        You have to check it out !
                        3LP Team

Comment

Wow! 3LP thank you so much for the link!
                          Indeed i only have seen the article about it on the cgpress site but didn`t see the bicycle example. That would have been soo cool to approach with tyflow i guess, damnnnn!
                          OLIKA
                          www.olika.de

Comment

Ha ha, Isn't that always the case, just finished a tough project and someone releases a 'one-click' plugin to do it for you.
                            Gavin Jeoffreys
                            Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

so true Raven ! can`t wait to put my fingers on this!
                              OLIKA
                              www.olika.de

Comment

Working...
                              X