Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max UI very sluggish. 2-3 seconds freeze when switching between sub-obj modes or selecting objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max UI very sluggish. 2-3 seconds freeze when switching between sub-obj modes or selecting objects

Hi guys,

Anybody else having issues with the UI of Max? The UI of Max 2018 is really sluggish on my machine (see signature) and every time I switch between sub-object modes (vertex, edge, poly etc.) or when selecting objects, the Command Panel starts flashing and Max freezes for 2-3 seconds before I can do anything again. It's hell working like this and it's really getting on my nerves. Same with Max 2016 but a bit less severe.

So far I tried the following: rebooting the PC, deleting my ENU folder, closing all active programs, closing all apps in the taskbar, disabling anti-virus, changing the Power Management type to Performance... nothing works. What's strange is that yesterday after I did a clean install of Windows on my laptop (due to adding a new mSATA disk), I installed Max 2016 on it and the UI was very snappy with no perceivable delays. However, forget about reinstalling Windows on my workstation, not going to happen!

I remember that Max has always had issues like this with the UI - after a period of time it starts becoming progressively slower which really sucks. Really, what's so hard to make things just work? It's always Max that constantly has some problems. It's a non-stop battle with its flaws. I feel like with Max I spend a third of my time trying to fix things instead of focusing on doing my work.
    Last edited by Alex_M; 08-02-2018, 04:14 AM.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Ouch, sorry for your issues. My MAX 2018, after all the updates, has been solid. I have noticed that my video drivers have been a hit/miss and many times I have had to roll back drivers.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks for the input, Bobby. Are you saying trying different drivers have alleviated UI issues for you? Which drivers exactly have worked for you?
      Aleksandar Mitov
      www.renarvisuals.com
      office@renarvisuals.com

AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
      64GB DDR5

Comment

Max in general for me is a nightmare constantly not responds - locks up - wait 2 mins comes back. had this with my old machine also. Having nothing but issues at times. Especially on large scenes with xrefs, merging light cache takes like 10 mins and if you cancel it another 10 mins to comes to life.

This with a dual xeon and 128 gb ram i wasnt expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
          Thanks for the input, Bobby. Are you saying trying different drivers have alleviated UI issues for you? Which drivers exactly have worked for you?
          I haven't had UI lag, but other issues have been resolved by rolling back drivers. Vlado posted an NVIDIA driver number to use, which is stable. Currently, I am using the latest NVIDIA driver successfully, but the last one was buggy and I had to roll back to the previous. I waited a month, tried the newest, and it is fine now. I do a clean update each time, so that might make a difference. When you install, pick custom and at the bottom there is a clean install button.
          Bobby Parker
          www.bobby-parker.com
          e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
          phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
          • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
          • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
          • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
          • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

What version number are you using for 1080ti ?

Comment

Do you use a wacom? i used to have this problem sometimes with a wacom installed and had to disable "windows ink"

also found this

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppo...core-CPUs.html

"Solution:
              Although it may seem contradictory, disabling Hyperthreading (for Intel CPUs) or SMT (simultaneous multithreading, for AMD CPUs) may actually speed up 3ds Max performance.In addition, some 3ds Max users may see UI improvements by setting a Qt (UI) environment variable in Windows:
              1. In Windows (8 or 10), go to the Search bar, then type in System. (It should bring up the choice of "System (Control Panel)." Press Enter.
              2. In the System menu, click on the Advanced Systems Settings item on the bottom-left of the menu. A System Properties menu will appear.
              3. At the bottom of this menu, click on the Environment Variables button. The Environment Variables menu will appear.
              4. At the bottom of the menu, under System variables, click on the New button to bring up the New System Variable menu.
              5. Under Variable name, enter:
              6. Under Variable value, enter any one of these:
              QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM = warp
              QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM = d3d9
              QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM = d3d11
              1. Click on OK in each menu to save the changes, then reboot your PC and re-test.
              2. Note: if one of the above settings doesn?t seem to work, you may want to repeat the above steps, but delete your earlier variable and replace it with the next one."

Comment

can try this too

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...fb-hangs/page9

Comment

Just tried the turning off Windows Defender part and so much quicker

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I tried them all, including reinstalling Max, but unfortunately nothing worked.
                    Last edited by Alex_M; 09-02-2018, 03:31 PM.
                    Aleksandar Mitov
                    www.renarvisuals.com
                    office@renarvisuals.com

AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
                    64GB DDR5

Comment

I'm also getting same trouble.
                      tired of working .
                      Please someone help me on this.
                      Thankyou

Comment

I only managed to fix this with a complete reinstall of Windows. Yea, it's brutal but it's the only thing that worked for me. Isn't 3ds max "fun"! I would celebrate the day I find a viable alternative to 3ds Max. I'm having an eye on the development of Blender 2.8. Hopefully it's more versatile for arch/product vis than previous versions.
                        Last edited by Alex_M; 05-11-2018, 12:34 PM.
                        Aleksandar Mitov
                        www.renarvisuals.com
                        office@renarvisuals.com

AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core
                        64GB DDR5

Comment

Have been having the same issues lately. It's super annoying. My other workstation who has the exact same Max installed with same plugins etc is running super smooth while my power beast is struggling to switch between suboject modes etc. It's tiresome!
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

I've been struggling with this too, and I've made a adjustment that appears to have improved things quite a bit,. Go to Windows Security, App and Browser control, Scroll to the bottom > Exploit protection, Exploit protection settings, Click on Program Settings at the top, Add program to customise ( by file name 3dsmax.exe) then tick all the boxes and ensure all the controls are off. I hope this helps.

Comment

A complete format for me also helped enormously. After 1.5 years of using Max it just became too sluggish and a format was the only thing that helped with all my problems.
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Working...
                              X