Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Max UI very sluggish. 2-3 seconds freeze when switching between sub-obj modes or selecting objects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed any virus detection software that runs in realtime affects cpu usage tremendously. Webroot is the culprit in our office. Check your cpu usage as well.

Comment

Going to try some of these tests. As I've posted before, many of us in the studio are suddenly getting terrible lag even just opening 3dsMax render settings. Material editor, light lister and others are bad too, up to ten seconds, which really adds up over the day. Just to add another voice to the issue...

Comment

Originally posted by GVC1123 View Post
        Going to try some of these tests. As I've posted before, many of us in the studio are suddenly getting terrible lag even just opening 3dsMax render settings. Material editor, light lister and others are bad too, up to ten seconds, which really adds up over the day. Just to add another voice to the issue...
        The first thing you should try is to move to V-Ray 5.2, and see if the material editor improves thanks to the implemented Qt UIs.
        If that works, then the issue with lag is purely the old UI controls and the way Max now handles them, there's little that you can do to make things (much) better, besides changing the Qt driver, for now.

Another thing that i can see is that with some other plugins installed (i'd rather not name names.) the material editor takes a lot longer to show up.
        So, before resetting max, or formatting a disk, try and slim the set of plugins to the bare minimum (i.e. Max + V-Ray), run some test, and then add back in the plugins one by one, running the same tests.
        At some point you'll know which is doing what.
        Last edited by ^Lele^; 29-11-2021, 02:53 AM.
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          (i'd rather not name names.)
          I'd rather you do . I'm starting to slim down my installed plugins, but working for +10 years and having an extensive library, there are always some traces left on older objects/shaders, so not having them installed isn't always an option. I wish I knew this before I started using a LOT of plugins.
          A.

---------------------
          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Eheh, i hear you.
            In fact the one bit i mentioned earlier wasn't reproable (i endeavored to time a few things via scripting yesterday, and as i did so the behaviour disappeared.), so it was good for me to not name names. :P
            Know we are on the lookout for such things, and whenever humanly possible we comm with the plugin owners to try and find solutions.
            We're not omniscient thought (that'd be boring!), so by all means keep reporting on anything out of the ordinary, or otherwise unexpected.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
            X