Average Interior Rendering Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard7666 View Post
    HDRI's will generally take longer to render than Sun&Sky, and certainly longer than simple plane lights in the windows.
    In my tests, the adaptive dome light (with or without a texture) in V-Ray Next has managed to beat all setups with lights in the windows. My goal is to have it on by default for the official release...

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado, I have just listened to the latest CGGarage pod cast with you talking about Vray Next, interesting indeed. A one point you talk about how the LC info can be used more intelligently and something about leaving LC on all the time.
      Could you elaborate on what you meant?
      and is there anyway to use this info along with BF, something like LC+IC+BF ?

Comment

And on a related note, we do a lot of shots with BF / BF since there's either a tonne of small trees in a landscape or animation - is there a way to keep the prepass benefits of LC but use BF as a secondary?

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          And on a related note, we do a lot of shots with BF / BF since there's either a tonne of small trees in a landscape or animation - is there a way to keep the prepass benefits of LC but use BF as a secondary?
          Sure, just increase the "Retrace" value a lot - something like 100 or 1000. Then you still get all the sampling help for adaptive lights/adaptive dome lights and autoexposure, but the GI itself is brute forced.

I would be interested to take a look at such a scene and see if we can make it render with LC reliably so that there is no need to go BF/BF. V-Ray Next should be better in this regard, but some way to measure with a real scene would be good.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Last edited by vlado; 08-03-2018, 02:02 AM.

Comment

The particular scenes are waaaaaaaaay too large to think about packaging, likely nda'd too - doesn't look exactly like this shot at all. No sir-eee.

http://www.artofvfx.com/BlackPanther...ILM_ITW_02.jpg

One thing I was thinking is that some of the folks in here are doing some really impressive stuff in nuke with LPE's and deep data from another renderer - the level of control from a single deep frame with no elements but just having lights and objects named and embedded as deep path data is really impressive. I take it LC is kind of incompatible with LPE since it's not per pixel?

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              In my tests, the adaptive dome light (with or without a texture) in V-Ray Next has managed to beat all setups with lights in the windows. My goal is to have it on by default for the official release...

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Wooo! I cannot wait.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Wooo! I cannot wait.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                  I take it LC is kind of incompatible with LPE since it's not per pixel?
                  The light cache will work fine with LPEs when we implement them.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

You ninja

Comment

Originally posted by hoppergrass View Post
                      probably closer to 40 minutes, with BF+IC it was around to 2 hours (if memory serves me correctly)

Click image for larger version

Name:	GI.jpg
Views:	3904
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	986534
                      I just tried your settings and although they were fast, I was getting a lot of smudges, noise, and not so good flashbacks to worrying about V-Ray settings.
                      Bobby Parker
                      www.bobby-parker.com
                      e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
                      phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
                      • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                      • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
                      • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
                      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I am noticing that 1/2 sized renderings are about 8X faster than full sized ones. If I go 1920X1080 it is taking an hour and doubling that is taking 8 hours, or at least that is the estimated times.
                        Bobby Parker
                        www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

can you post an image of the smudging? Also, are you using HDRI? as these settings dont play nice with HDRI's

Comment

Originally posted by hoppergrass View Post
                            can you post an image of the smudging? Also, are you using HDRI? as these settings dont play nice with HDRI's
                            Yes, I use an HDRI, which is usually the deal breaker.
                            Bobby Parker
                            www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Then you'd better stick with BF+LC. HDRI's just dont play nice with IC, just cant get enough detail.
                              Personally most times I try HDRI's I usually revert to a VRSun and Sky, mainly because I like to place my sun angles right where I want them and not be locked into what ever is in the HDRI. I'll use them for reflections.

Now if there was a more intuitive way of controlling the sun and sky colour I'd be even happier.

Comment

The subtle colors you get with a good HDRi is worth the wait, in my opinion. I have tried to so many times to work with the V-Ray Sun/Sky, but I default back to an HDRi.
                                Bobby Parker
                                www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                                • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X