VRayLightMtl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayLightMtl

Maybe I am not understanding the methods or purpose for the VRayLightMtl, but I have a quick question.

I am trying to use the material to make an object glow, and illuminate the scene. The problem is, that is does not cast shadows (either at all, or properly) and it does not have a falloff (by distance, such as inverse-square).

Any thoughts? Am I using the wrong method?

shane.

The material always has inverse square falloff if I recall correctly. Do you have GI enabled in your scene (you need to)? Can you post a pic of what you have so far?
    Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

Also make sure to turn off color clamping, otherwise you can't get light into the scene with only VrayLightMtl
      You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

I've been playing with this material. You really have to crank it up to get any illumination and then when you do it's blotchy. Has anyone here used it successfully?

Gijs....colour clamping? is that in the colour mapping rollout?

Comment

yes, in the color mapping rolout.
          You can contact StudioGijs for 3D visualization and 3D modeling related services and on-site training.

Comment

thanks for clarifying that.....still not sure how the mat works though

Comment

It's really simple.

Use it for making an object emit light. Make a box, give it a vraylightmtl and set it to 5. The box will now generate light, but this is only visible with GI turned ON! It's like skylight but for objects instead of environment light. Remember it produces GI light (first bounce) like skylight does, so it will not give you sharp detailed shadows unless you cranck up the GI settings.

Here's a small example:

Does this help you?

regards,

wouter
              Aversis 3D | Download High Quality HDRI Maps | Vray Tutorials | Free Texture Maps

Comment

cheers flipside

I think the problem I was having was that I set it too bright and it created almost caustic like blotches.

I'm hoping that the chaos team further develop the lightmat so that it has some control parameters

Comment

The blotchiness comes from your GI settings, not the material. Increase the HSphere subdivs to get a smoother light solution.
                  Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

ta Egz I'll try that mate

Comment

Working...
                    X