Unlocked Highlight and reflection glossiness error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlocked Highlight and reflection glossiness error

So with Next and older materials when I get the error about "Unlocked Highlight and reflection glossiness" is there a way to edit the material so I don't get this error or do I have to remake my entire material library? 90% of my materials had this unlocked and there are a couple hundred of them which kinda sucks if I have to go through and recreate them all again.

-dave
    Cheers,
    -dave
    ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

90% of your materials? How old are those materials? I guess it's time to give them an update . I've never unlocked this in my 10 years of visualization actually.

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...he-hglossiness
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Thanks for the link. Looks like Im screwed then lol. Some materials are old-ish but then again Ive been doing this, lets say for a number of years before V-Ray hit the scene

-dave
      Cheers,
      -dave
      ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 1950X ■ ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E - 2990WX ■ ASUS PRIME X399 - 2990WX ■ GIGABYTE AORUS X399 - 2990WX ■ ASUS Maximus Extreme XI with i9-9900k ■

Comment

when I get this error, I just convert scene with native vray scene converter, and errors were solved ..

Comment

Originally posted by alex.nozadze View Post
          when I get this error, I just convert scene with native vray scene converter, and errors were solved ..
          Nice to know, I thought about trying that. Might give it a shot on a test scene and see how it goes.

Thank you.
          Cheers,
          -dave

Comment

Strange thing, I'm getting this issue AFTER running the VRay scene converter. It seems like the scene converter is UN-locking the highlight glossiness. Is anyone else getting this?

Comment

Originally posted by mitchgates View Post
              Strange thing, I'm getting this issue AFTER running the VRay scene converter. It seems like the scene converter is UN-locking the highlight glossiness. Is anyone else getting this?
              This is true unfortunately. V-Ray Scene converter is not yet updated and it indeed unlocks the highlight glossiness. We are working on this right now, it should be fixed for the next service pack.
              We'll see also what would be the best way to handle old materials, maybe we can make the converter to automatically locks their glossiness.
              Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
              Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Where are you at with this. Has it been corrected? I have some scenes that I ought to convert I suppose to get rid of this error message.

Comment

Quick fix:

Code:
                  theMats = getclassinstances vrayMtl

for m = 1 to theMats.count do
                  (
                      theMats[m].reflection_lockGlossiness = on
                  )

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
                    Quick fix:

Code:
                    theMats = getclassinstances vrayMtl

for m = 1 to theMats.count do
                    (
                    theMats[m].reflection_lockGlossiness = on
                    )
                    Eh, not quite.
                    It will make the warning go away, but the look of the shaders may turn out *quite* different depending on how the two components were driven.
                    To anyone but the shader author is nigh impossible to figure out what should have precedence over what, so my suggestion is to bring those shaders up to date manually, just to make sure it's done in the right way.
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

You and your professionalism :P

Comment

You and your professionalism :P
                        Ahahah, no but really!
                        Since i started working here, the pressure of getting little things like these wrong has been *enormous*.
                        By comparison, my TD time in film or viz was carefree. ^^
                        Sorry for projecting, hey! :P
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Ha! Sounds ideal to be surrounded by people that drag you upwards - you were already starting from a fairly lofty height too

Comment

Ha! Sounds ideal to be surrounded by people that drag you upwards - you were already starting from a fairly lofty height too
                            he talks. ^^
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Hi there, sorry to revive and old thread, but I'm getting the same error messages.

The shaders are old vray shaders, I locked the highlights to get rid of the error message, and fixed the highlights etc, but the error message won't go away.
                              The only way to get rid of it was to manualy rebuild the shader from scratch and match the settings. Not fun times

Using vray next, and 3dsmax 2019

Comment

Working...
                              X