Stopping DR before slaves engaged destroyed vrimg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping DR before slaves engaged destroyed vrimg

There is a DR situation which can cause a user to lose all of a vrimg, which hopefully you can correct:

I had a rendering going overnight which eventually crashed. That in itself was not a problem as V-Ray saved the vrimg and allowed it to be resumable. However, since 3dsmax crashed, Forest Pack Pro also crashed and lost its license.

I re-opened 3dsmax, re-loaded the file, and resumed the rendering. One of the first dialog boxes that popped up was that Forest Pack Pro had no license and therefore no Forest Objects could be rendered. However, this is only a warning and V-Ray continues on in its rendering prep (compiling objects, embree tree, other calculations, etc).

Since the Forest objects were not going to render, I STOPPED (not cancelled) the rendering before V-Ray could get any of the distributed render slaves started on the rendering (the host machine was not included in the rendering).

I closed the file, closed 3dsmax, restarted the iToo Forest Pack Pro license server, restarted 3dsmax, reloaded the file, and resumed the V-Ray rendering.

However, then V-Ray gave me the error message that the output size 0x0 did not match the rendering size 4096x2048 and so the vrimg could not be resumed. This caused the entire vrimg from the night before to be destroyed! Four machines were working on that image and so I lost about 32 hours of rendering.

Is there a way that you can prevent V-Ray from destroying the vrimg if it is stopped before any DR slave nodes are able to join in and begin rendering buckets? This seems to be the cause of the destroyed vrimg.

Thanks,
    Matt

Click image for larger version

Name:	DR stopped early before slaves engaged_lost vrimg.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	1029416

Hello,

Actually that is the main difference between Stop and Cancel.The Stop command tells the render to stop rendering, but save whatever is available (unfortunately in your case that meant save an empty image). On the other hand - clicking Cancel tells the render to abort and not save anything.

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Working...
    X