Dome reflection pixelated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome reflection pixelated

I'm getting this error, only sometimes, which seems to be a throwback to 2011. The dome light is reflecting as pixelated squares.

If I change light evaluation to full, it goes away. See screenshot of isolated channel. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	1030409

I should mention, this is in the Specular channel:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	specular.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	1030413
    Attached Files

Comment

Turn OFF the "adaptive dome light(WIP feature)" that should fix it..
      wonder why this i not fixed yet, many users reported it, inluded myself 2x already, it`s a known issue for around a year now.. , would be great to get it fixed and remove the WIP status...
      Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net

Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com

Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

Comment

Yep and not to hound on Chaos, but it was a big NEXT feature that never really worked.
        Bobby Parker
        www.bobby-parker.com
        e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
        phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
        • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
        • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
        • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
        • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

That's what I was thinking - strange that it doesn't work when it was one of the much-hyped features. And turning the option off affects the lighting, negatively.

Comment

I am sure that they have been working hard on it. Hopefully, in May we’ll see it fixed in the next update.
            Bobby Parker
            www.bobby-parker.com
            e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
            phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
            • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
            • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
            • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
            • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

It works perfectly fine if the shading properties of materials are left as physically accurate as they can be.
              Funky setups on glasses are bound to make the tech stumble, as they invalidate (some of) the assumptions it makes to get speed.
              Turn it off and use Portals if you prefer the speed from that approach, and funky transparency setups, rather than that of the Adaptive Dome and physically correct glasses.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I remember Vlado said that most of these issues were fixed (ie not casting shadows and visible to reflecions off)
                https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Can you be more specific about funky glasses?

Comment

Originally posted by maxedesa View Post
                    Can you be more specific about funky glasses?
                    Setting windows etc. to cast shadows off or making them invisible to reflecion. These were valid workflows in the early days, like many many years ago. Now this not a good advice anymore, just leave everything as is. A photographer also doesn't have a chance to remove the windows, so think like a photographer...

It would be good if V-Ray printed a warning if any of these non-physical things are found in the scene when using Adaptive Dome Light.
                    Last edited by kosso_olli; 21-03-2019, 06:15 AM.
                    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Right. Not using these approaches. Any other ideas what causes the problem?

Comment

The more I think about this, the more ludicrous this seems --

Top billed feature for V-Ray Next: Adaptive Dome Light
                        Find out more on the info page... Where there is no caveat to usage, no mention of the requirements.
                        So it works, sometimes, if you follow the unpublished guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by maxedesa View Post
                          Right. Not using these approaches. Any other ideas what causes the problem?
                          You could send support a scene, and they'd figure it out for you.
                          Lele
                          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                          ----------------------
                          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Thanks! I'm doing that now. Will post an update with the answer.

Comment

I investigated your scene and it seems the artifacts are present when the Adaptive dome light has it's 'Affect Reflections' option turned off. I have forwarded the issue to our developers for further investigation.
                              Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
                              Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
                              X