Flickering Reflections issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flickering Reflections issue

I'm having an issue with come crazy reflection flickers. The scene uses an HDRI dome light as the primary source, plus a V-ray sun to supplement a bit more.

Here are some thoughts:
    The sequence was rendered as DR to Backburner. Perhaps that is an issue?
    @MorbidAngel mentioned on another thread about faceted normals and setting minimum AA to 2 - Is this something that may be at play with my render?
    I'm using an older Physical Camera but wonder if using one with auto-exposure might be a better approach?
    Anything to try with the material itself since it's only happening to the desk itself and nothing else in the set?
    The individual panels of the desk are Body Objects with UVW modifier.
    Light cache is on the default setting of 1000

Thanks

Dave
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

Originally posted by Streetwise View Post
    Light cache is on the default setting of 1000
    Its most likely the LC. For animation, it should be set to 3000subdivs and retrace to 8.
    Body objects are really bad. Convert them to edit mesh, or even better to vrmesh.
    If dealing with cad imports, it's always better to set Secondary rays bias to something like 0.001.
    But I'd bet it's the LC setting.

Not to blame for the flickering but for animation you'll render quite a bit faster without DR. Just regular backburner rendering with the server running on every render slave.
    Last edited by Ihno; 06-04-2019, 07:09 AM.
    German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Originally posted by Ihno View Post

If dealing with cad imports, it's always better to set Secondary rays bias to something like 0.001.
      Interesting... Does this hold true for single frame renders too, or just animated sequences?

I'm running two tests right now: One with LC at 3000 / retrace 8, and one with those settings, plus the geometry converted to a mesh, plus the .001 secondary bias. I'll report back.
      David Anderson
      www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
      Windows 10 Pro
      3ds Max 2023.3 Update
      V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
      Puget Systems
      TRX40 EATX
      128GB RAM

Comment

Secondary rays bias can prevent z fighting if the faces aren't in exactly the same position but very near.
        If they are exactly on top of each other you gotta edit the model or remodel it.
        Its more likely to be visible in animation since it causes flickering but it can also influence render time and realism in stills.
        If the window glass is cad based, remodel it. Usually its as easy as dragging out a box. And it can cause a lot of trouble otherwise, since all the light needs to pass it.
        German guy, sorry for my English.

Comment

Thanks for all of the info! I converted the Body Objects to Editable Poly and then a Subdivide (WSM) to get clean geometry. For me, windows are never CAD based, only the furniture. With a higher LC/Raytrace combo, the render is looking fantastic now!
          David Anderson
          www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
          Windows 10 Pro
          3ds Max 2023.3 Update
          V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
          Puget Systems
          TRX40 EATX
          128GB RAM