Vray Next Update 2 - Rendering Issues & Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Next Update 2 - Rendering Issues & Questions

I have been testing the new Update 2 and found a major issue. When rendering in Vray ADV textures and materials on angles blurs the texture. I have posted an example below. This doesn't happen in Vray GPU, or other renderers. You lose all detail.

Some questions:
    1) is there a way to adjust DOF and Motion Blur for a camera without changing it's brightness/exposure? In other renderers I have the ability to do that, but in vray it seems I can only adjust the F-Number and Shutter Speed of the camera which in turn changes the exposure and look of my render.

2) When can we see Intel denoiser? This is really holding us back from jumping on board because it is far superior to Vray or Nvidia denoiser in detail and speed.

Here is a top down view of both you can see that now Vray ADV is rendering the texture/material correctly. Both ADV and RT are a little different but almost identical.

Comment

I am pretty sure that this is happening because of the blur value in the bitmap node. It might be unsupported in GPU, which is why the textures are more crisp. To get a matching result, try setting the bitmap blur value to 0.01 for ADV.
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
        I am pretty sure that this is happening because of the blur value in the bitmap node. It might be unsupported in GPU, which is why the textures are more crisp. To get a matching result, try setting the bitmap blur value to 0.01 for ADV.
        Your right, I wouldn't have even thought that would of made such a big difference since two other render engines which utilize blur rendered just fine.

Comment

Since I have you here Kosso_olll any comment on Question 1?

Comment

For question 1, you can use a global VRayExposureControl plugin and disable exposure in the camera itself.

For question 2, we have not decided yet. In my own tests, results were more or less on par with the NVidia denoiser - sometimes worse, sometimes better, but not a drastic improvement.

For the texture blur, it is possible that other engines simply ignore it, like V-Ray GPU.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              For question 1, you can use a global VRayExposureControl plugin and disable exposure in the camera itself.Vlado
              Okay, thank you. Would be nice to be able to do this per camera for more flexibility. Say use EV in camera and all other setting would just change the DOF & Motionblur.

For question 2, we have not decided yet. In my own tests, results were more or less on par with the NVidia denoiser - sometimes worse, sometimes better, but not a drastic improvement.Vlado
              I have found the complete opposite, the results are 100x better than Nvidia denoiser especially with exteriors and detailed objects like grass. With grass Intel's will keep att the details of each blade, where nvidia's will make it a muddy mess. I have done extensive testing also and have used it in a full animation project. I have attached a exterior test with Nvidia's denoiser to show you the job it does, or can't do with vegetation. Intel's would have no issue cleaning this up and keeping all the detail.

For the texture blur, it is possible that other engines simply ignore it, like V-Ray GPU.Vlado
              Corona render for one doesn't ignore the texture blur but still renders it correctly. I have attached an example of this also.

Comment

Would you mind posting results with he Intel denoiser? I'm very interested to see. I love the Nvidia one but I heard that Intel is a blast.
                Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                www.AddYourLight.com
                Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Originally posted by Donfarese View Post
                  Corona render for one doesn't ignore the texture blur but still renders it correctly. I have attached an example of this also.
                  Ah ok, then it's normal - Corona and V-Ray do filtering slightly differently. You could get better results using VRayHDRI with elliptical filtering instead of a 3ds Max Bitmap texture (if that's what you are using).

Best regards,
                  Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Is there a way to change the standard filtering of the HDRI map to that? Is there a reason for it not being elliptical? (Probably render time?)
                    Add Your Light LogoCheck out my tutorials, assets, free samples and weekly newsletter:
                    www.AddYourLight.com
                    Always looking to learn, become better and serve better.

Comment

Over the years I became used to always setting the bitmap blur to 0. I only do print work, and I didn't find any downside yet.
                      For the camera settings, try the Physical Camera that ships with Max. It is supported by V-Ray, and you can set a specific EV value for the exposure, and then you can adjust F-Stop and shutter speed to your needs.
                      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Working...
                      X