Vray sun and Sky Shadows are not parallel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray sun and Sky Shadows are not parallel

Why does the Vray Sun and Sky Shadows not look Parallel. its a very basic setup literally just a vray sun and sky. The sky is in a dome light
    john nelson
    jnvfx.com
    CG Supervisor at Picture Shop LA

The sun's light casts shadows that are pretty much parallel
    Your camera on the other hand is essentially showing you a perspective view, not a parallel projection or orthographic view.

This viewport screenshot may shed some light on the subject. As you can see the green boxes are parallel and just a single box instanced couple times without modifying the original one's rotation. However in cam view (default camera added)...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	41.9 KB ID:	1069717
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Also, the elevation of the terrain may change shadow direction slightly. This reminds me of the moon conspiracy, where some people mentioned the direction of the shadows is wrong in some of the images. But it was the elevation of the terrain that caused it
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

That Image completely represents what i am running into. Thank you. Its just strange because the plate that i am rendering on top of has shadows that are parallel. .
        john nelson
        jnvfx.com

Comment

thank you everyone for your clarification.
          john nelson
          jnvfx.com

Comment

Originally posted by johnnelsonvfx View Post
            That Image completely represents what i am running into. Thank you. Its just strange because the plate that i am rendering on top of has shadows that are parallel. .
            There is probably a reason for that. Generally though comparing different renders with real life, vray is pretty accurate with the shadow.
            Dmitry Vinnik
            Silhouette Images Inc.
            ShowReel:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
            https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by johnnelsonvfx View Post
              That'd happen if the plate was undistorted.
              Run your renders (with some overscan!) through the same undistortion as the plate, and it should be a match.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Working...
              X