Low Quality V-Ray Material Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had no idea, no.
    To me the latest OSes (say, i was last comfy with NT4, perhaps? ^^) seem a bloat-bomb, and often enough have inexplicably blown in my face (no, ofc i must have done something wrong, i know.).
    So now that my win10 installation is working, and survived the latest big update unscathed, all i do is use it gingerly for fear of a reinstall.
    Personal limit, I'd readily concede.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
      So now that my win10 installation is working, and survived the latest big update unscathed, all i do is use it gingerly for fear of a reinstall.
      Personal limit, I'd readily concede.
      The latest Windows 10 update - version 2004 has a major SSD/NVMe defragmentation bug which may shorten the lifespan of your SSDs/NVMe's. You may want to stop automatic defrag on you SSDs/NVMe's until Microsoft roll out a fix.
      Aleksandar Mitov
      www.renarvisuals.com
      office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
      AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
      64GB DDR5
      GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

Comment

anyway, its doing again although slightly better.
        deleting slate mtl editor view always gives me something like 30 second delay...first i see pixelated mouse arrow and then i get blue spinning wheel...after that the view gets deleted. Looks like this is heavily dependent on whats inside the view. Large material structures tend to be even slower.
        Martin
        http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
          The latest Windows 10 update - version 2004 has a major SSD/NVMe defragmentation bug which may shorten the lifespan of your SSDs/NVMe's. You may want to stop automatic defrag on you SSDs/NVMe's until Microsoft roll out a fix.
          I didn't have that active, but will check if it turned it back on by itself. Thanks for the pointer!
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

A new, older scene a nd all works well.
            i am struggling to understand whatcauses this. Perhaps it will be worth sending the slow one to chaos
            Martin
            http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

So is this confirmed to be normal behavior? That the noise level on the vray material spheres is that noisy?

Comment

I don't have issues with the performance, more to do with the preview scene itself. I find it to be too washed out and incredibly hard to tell what reflections are doing as others have noted here and there...

I've tried changing the scene to no avail. Here's a simple edit to the Swatch 2016.max file, exporting the vray scene from max2016 and saving both in the vray asset directory.

For whatever reason the preview swatch does not render same as the vrscene file....

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-09-22_21-27-54.png
Views:	342
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1085071

Comment

Working...
                X