Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V-ray Next 4.30.02 - Extreme "dancing" white pixels on any material at a distance with glossy reflections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have this problem with a default Vraycarpaintmtl2 (just colors changed and I even disabled the speckles because I though this was the issue. In my case it's animation though, haven't tried it with still shots.

When I do animated aerial shots, the cars flicker like a discolight. I've learned to live with it, but it sucks. LC on animation settings, and default vray settings basically.

Is it still the way to go with 2 VraySuns, and big size for specular? It's a bit cumbersome. Latest Vray btw.
    Last edited by Vizioen; 23-06-2023, 08:14 AM.
    A.

---------------------
    www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Well, the carpaint is a Vrscan, but it happens with all materials having glossy reflections.
      The "solution" to use two different suns was not tested, as this just does not feel right or physically plausible.
      https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

I wonder if Lock Noise Pattern would at least keep them consistent.

We still run into this a lot. It always always ends up being a second light for the highlights. Also, been having much better results with a distant regular Vraylight vs. a VraySun. Not quite as accurate, but tends to work much better. A vignette as a light texture map also seems to help.

Would really like to see a fix like Corona has.
        Last edited by Joelaff; 23-06-2023, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
          I wonder if Lock Noise Pattern would at least keep them consistent.
          Just had to check this, because I did not think of it: Indeed it does!
          Side-effect is that you get a noise pattern that looks like hovering over the image...

EDIT: It does only work if the camera is static. As soon as it moved, you get randomly placed hightlights again.
          Last edited by kosso_olli; 23-06-2023, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post

Just had to check this, because I did not think of it: Indeed it does!
            Side-effect is that you get a noise pattern that looks like hovering over the image...
            Yeah, if the sampling is high enough, and the noise is minimized that goes away (or through multi frame denoising, which is what the lock noise pattern is so good for).

I prefer a dancing noise look, but without the dancing highlights!

Comment

Are you making a still or an animation? You could also try it without the lock nosie pattern, but then average a bunch of frame together. Of course that increases the render time linearly.

Comment

Originally posted by Joelaff View Post
                Are you making a still or an animation? You could also try it without the lock nosie pattern, but then average a bunch of frame together. Of course that increases the render time linearly.
                We are doing an animation where the camera is moving very slightly. And all those highlights are dancing around like crazy. Keeping the camera static and having the highlights in different positions for consecutive frames just seemed strange and we discovered it while debugging the scene.
                As I said in the last post, having the noise pattern locked only helps when the camera is static. As soon as it moves, you will get the randomly placed highlights again. I still did not find a cure for this.

Comment

Okay guys,
                  I am stuck with this. It is impossible to get a clean-looking sequence out of V-Ray.

Comment

do you still have my email, Olli?
                    Lele
                    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                    ----------------------
                    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Did you send one? Seems I missed it, I can not find it :/
                      Could you please send it again?

Comment

Ahah, no i meant email address, for you to send me over the scene so i can check it, and in case ameliorate it, or pass it to the devs to test the advancements we'd need.
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Sure, eMail was sent right now. Thank you very much!

Comment

So to close the topic: the issue was with geometric normals.
                            V-Ray was doing what it could with what it was given.
                            Geo fixed, issue gone.
                            Lele
                            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                              So to close the topic: the issue was with geometric normals.
                              V-Ray was doing what it could with what it was given.
                              Geo fixed, issue gone.
                              What exactly was wrong the normals?
                              A.

---------------------
                              www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Unwelded, coincident vertex normals.
                                Analogous to z-fighting, but for normals, essentially.
                                Usually it doesn't matter as all the unwelded vertex normals point the same way, but if even just one does not, the random seed across frames may mean a different one is picked.
                                Combined with the scene's specific lighting angle, it produced the unwanted result.
                                It's a tricky one to spot as well, because visual inspection of the mesh does not show *big* issues, and if viewed as diffuse, or inside a normals RE, it may just look OK.
                                One has to get up close, and try things, to notice.
                                Last edited by ^Lele^; 12-07-2023, 01:47 AM.
                                Lele
                                ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                                X