Vray 5 applies denoiser twice, heavily blurring the image in the process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray 5 applies denoiser twice, heavily blurring the image in the process

Yet another bug. I've just rendered an image and everything was great. Then I noticed something in the scene that I needed to change and so I had to do a region render. However, after the region render completed, Vray denoised the denoised result, heavily blurring the image in the process. I used Vray's denoiser. Please check the screenshots below.

Here's what I did:

1. I enabled resumable rendering and rendered the high-res image.
    2. After the rendering finished, I saved it in the VFB history.
    3. I saw some issues with the concrete backsplash and after a bit of adjustments with IPR, I decided the image was now ok, so I cleared the image in the VFB, and then loaded back the high-res image that I saved in VFB history eariler.
    4. I then disabled resumable rendering, selected the concrete backsplash object, set Render Mask to "Selected", drew a region around the backsplash and I started the rendering.
    5. After rendering finished, Vray applied denoising on top of the denoised result.

What's interesting is that the backsplash which I rendered with Render Mask Selected didn't get denoised twice.

Click image for larger version  Name:	vray5_applies_denoiser_twice1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	271.0 KB ID:	1083447Click image for larger version  Name:	vray5_applies_denoiser_twice2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.5 KB ID:	1083448
    Last edited by Alex_M; 09-09-2020, 08:00 AM.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

I'm getting odd results with the Nvidia denoiser, presumably because of the behavior explained here, however, this does not seem to happen with the V-Ray denoiser (also explained in the linked topic). Send the scene to support@chaogroup.com so we can take a look.
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I've just sent you the scene. Ticket number is 316-060-7818.
      Aleksandar Mitov
      www.renarvisuals.com
      office@renarvisuals.com

64GB DDR5

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for the scene - with it it was fairly easy to understand what is going on.
        The already mentioned bug with channels mixup after loading images from history happened here too (doesn't matter that you didn't change render elements in the scene itself). As a result the defocusAmount channel (which is mostly white in that part of the scene) ended up in the noiseLevel channel. Then since you are rendering with Render mask selected only the backsplash object got rendered and all else was left with the wrong info. As a result the noiseLevel channel became something like this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	287
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1083586where the mostly black part is rendered and the white part is due to the mixup and contains defocusAmount data.

After that the denoiser uses the noiseLevel to determine denoising strength with white being full strength - this leads to the heavy blurring.

Sorry again for all the trouble this bug caused.

Best regards,
        Yavor
        Yavor Rubenov
        V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Very good explanation, makes sense. Thanks. Hopefully the fix makes it in the upcoming update.
          Aleksandar Mitov
          www.renarvisuals.com
          office@renarvisuals.com

64GB DDR5

Comment

Working...
          X