Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• multimatte keying over AE "set-matte" gives border

hello,

i render out 4k footage with multimattes. if i key e.g. red colour over after effects´ "set Matte" and screw down/up e.g. the brightness i get a white AA one pixel borderline (moirée) .
    noise thesh 0,005/ min1 /max24/ no image filter/ enable filtering in multimatte is "on"

any help here?

thanks a lot
    thomes
    Attached Files
    Last edited by thomes; 22-09-2020, 10:42 PM.

bump...anyone from vray? lele, aleksandar ?

Comment

Hi Thomes,

Would it be possible to attach the scene files or send them to support@chaosgroup.com (make sure to mention this thread in the email) so we can have a look and test it further? Thanks.
      Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

thanks for looking into ! file sent

Comment

Just a thought - if you're rendering the matte with antialiasing but then you only key the red, are you not losing those antialiased values and so the matte is then not accurate?
          https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

as it seems "set Matte" in AE is also picking the less red pixels in the aa parts of the multimatte... so this looks principially good i would say...

Comment

Ah, ok...it's not that then
              https://www.behance.net/bartgelin

Comment

nicoleta? time to look into this little thing?

Comment

Thanks for the provided scene files, thomes,

We've tested this in both After Effects and Photoshop, and seems the expected behavior when it comes to anti-aliasing - as it is taking a variable number of samples per pixels and depends on the difference in the intensity of the neighboring pixels.

If you apply a Brightness effect to your mask and increase the sub-pixel difference drastically, it is normal to get fringes.

In this particular case, you have a 4K rendering but the building is far in the distance. The unwanted effect becomes more visible when zooming in the rendered output. If you either render a 4K image with the building closer to the camera OR keep it as is and increase the image resolution even more, this will help refine the anti-aliasing as it will produce the necessary pixels for proper sampling.

Poor anti-aliasing can be also prevented if a given object is rendered alone on a black background so that issues with alpha premultiplication are avoided.

Note that such effects are not necessarily a result of poor image sampling. In general, they appear simply because the image is discretized into square pixels. They can be reduced through the usage of different anti-aliasing filters as well, but are not completely avoidable.

Hope that makes it more clear.
                  Nikoleta Garkova | chaos.com

Comment

thomes Try puting a Levels adjustment after the Set Matte, change the Chanel to Alpha and you'll be able to adjust how "soft" the edge is. Also, put whatever adjustments you use to brighten/darken before the Set Matte effect.

Comment

thanks a lot both for your information ! i will give it a try the next days ,i´ll be back.

Comment

Working...
                      X