No announcement yet.

System hangs and locks at render end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lele - I checked and there was a new driver released on 7/19 I have now installed. I think I'm going to uncheck hardware acceleration anyway just to avoid any possibility of that being the issue. Test later on a less critical and time sensitive project.

Thanks for taking the time out of your main focus on "stirring trouble" to help me with this. It has been educational.
    mark f.
    openrangeimaging.com

Max 2023.3.4 | Vray 6 update 2 | Win 10

Core i7 6950 | GeForce RTX 2060 | 64 G RAM

Comment

An update.

I usually get a little indicator on the nvidia icon down in the task bar area when an update is available for my GPU and I'm pretty diligent about keeping up with the most current driver. I did not have that but I launched that GeForce Experience and there was an updated studio driver available released on 7/19. So, I installed that.

Not sure if that made a difference or not but. I worked all day yesterday and rendered out a few of the scenes at full res. Also some partial render regions for little fixes. Never had a crash. I never checked "save vray raw image" (or whatever it's called" in the render settings dialog. screen shot attached to show this. I was still too gun shy for that. Instead, I saved each render once completed by clicking the save image icon in the top toolbar of the VFB.

Also regarding the hardware acceleration for de-noiser and lens effects. Lens effects can have that hardware acceleration unchecked and it seems to stay that way. The de-noiser however seems to be determined to always be checked. for de-noiser uncheck the hardware acceleration. Click Render, Now the hardware acceleration has become checked. You can uncheck while the render progresses. Try another render, that de-noiser will check the hardware acceleration again.

So, i don't know if trying to keep hardware acceleration has seemingly helped. Or if updating to that new driver did the trick. Also don;t know yet if I can use the render settings dialog to "save vray raw image" to disc at render end. Like I said I need to try that later when I am more able to tolerate another system lock up.

Thanks for all you help! Thank you Nickoleta for your email. It is super helpful to know that it is not some problem within scene file, but rather a demonic presence of some type within my computer.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by OPEN_RANGE; 25-07-2021, 09:23 AM.
      mark f.
      openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Update. With more rendering done to complete the project I am fairly confident I have pinpointed the problem.

Lele provide the answer. The problem seems to be with having hardware acceleration checked in the de-noiser options. If that is checked and render at full 4K resolution, then render completes, lens effects applied , denoiser applied and the render is shown complete and looks as should but….system locks and can’t save the image from VFB.

As long as de-noiser hardware acceleration is un checked then no problems, no system lock.

I don’t know if this is a bug or what but, every time I click render that de-noiser, on it’s own, checks the “hardware acceleration” box. Once render starts I can uncheck it. If I cancel render and then click render again, that hardware acceleration box self checks again and I must un check it while the render starts. Same if the render completes and I fix something and click render again. That hardware acceleration box self checks every time and must be manually un checked every time I start the render.

it seems to be possessed.
        mark f.
        openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Ahah, i had a giggle!
          Two things: the solution came from Yavor, i merely reported it.
          Also, the hardware acceleration settings are taken from the render element, and will overwrite what's in the frame buffer.
          Unticking hardware acceleration there should terminate the possession affair.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

You have exorcised it! Thanks!
            mark f.
            openrangeimaging.com

Comment

Working...
            X