VrayBitmap causing slow file save

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayBitmap causing slow file save

Getting some very slow file saves on a project and seems to be coming from objects with materials using VrayBitmap with a large texture map. Max 2021/Vray 5.20.02

For troubleshooting, I pulled out a terrain piece of my scene file with a 10k x 10k jpg (~130MB) aerial map applied. Fairly big but far from anything crazy. When using VrayBitmap on the material the file takes about 30 seconds to save with just the one item in the scene. If I replace the VrayBitmap with just a regular Bitmap map applied to the same geometry the file saves as fast as I can hit Ctrl+S. Replacing the terrain with just a box has the same result, so doesn't seem to be geometry dependent.

Smaller image maps loaded through VrayBitmap seem to have a lesser effect, but the save times definitely go up as the image size goes up. In my main scene I was working with, I replaced all the VrayBitmap with regular Bitmap, and the file save time went from minutes to seconds.

Is VrayBitmap doing something during file saves? I tried turning off 'save thumbnail' and 'reload textures' in the file options thinking it might be trying to re-load all the image maps during saving but had no effect.

Hi could send your scene and assets to https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/requests/new so we can investigate?
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

I am getting 100 milliseconds max file saves, with any image format, for a single 16k x 16k texture.
      Could you be running out of RAM?
      If you told v-ray to keep the bitmaps in memory between renders, and then rendered, you may have exhausted the OS memory.
      Which of course would get cleaned as you swapped the loaders out of the max scene.

We'll be waiting for a scene, should you run out of ideas.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Example scenes submitted that consist of just a plane and an image map. Noticed a difference if the image map was being pulled from a network location or not. Current save times I'm seeing with my example scene:

Bitmap map saved local - saves instantly
        Bitmap map saved on network - saves instantly
        VrayBitmap map saved local - 5 seconds
        VrayBitmap map saved on network - 20 seconds

So definitely faster if the maps are saved locally, but still a pretty big delay compared to regular Bitmap (and compounded with additional maps).
        Last edited by deepblue812; 07-01-2022, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Hi i tested your scenes and indeed with VRayBtimap the saving takes a few seconds compared to 3ds max's native Bitmap loader which saves instantly. I've logged this in our system under VMAX-11786 for further investigation.
          Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
          X