Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible bug: Vray 1.47.03 - Blow-Up mode @ Super/Farm(tm)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible bug: Vray 1.47.03 - Blow-Up mode @ Super/Farm(tm)

The ResPower Super/Farm(tm) provides support for 3dsmax blow-up-mode-based ultra-high-resolution renders. By ultra-high-resolution, I mean renders in excess of 20k x 20k pixels, which in any other approach are typically enough to crash 3dsmax.

The problem we are facing right now is that all other supported render engines (Brazil, Scanline) correctly render the blown-up region, but V-Ray completely ignores the blowup settings.

Here's a link to two output files from the Super/Farm:

http://www.respower.com/~earlye/vray-bug/scanline.zip
    http://www.respower.com/~earlye/vray-bug/vray.zip

The "scanline.zip" one was rendered in scanline, and has correctly zoomed in on the region we want to render for each bucket. The "vray.zip" one was rendered in vray, and each bucket is simply a small version of the whole image.

The logs for both renders shows that the blowup settings were enabled.

I'd be glad to provide unlimited rendering resources to get this problem resolved.

BTW - that holds true for any rendering problem that might turn up.

-- Early Ehlinger
    President, ResPower - Home of the Super/Farm (tm)
    TeraHertz At Your Fingertips.[/url]
    Early Ehlinger
    President, ResPower, Inc.

How do you set up the blow-up rendering? What steps do I need to do to reproduce that? Normal blow-up rendering seems to work fine, so there is probably something specific that you are doing.

Btw, VRay itself is capable of rendering very large images, by writing them directly to disk into a .vrimg file format... you can go as far as 50k x 50k.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

sorry to sidetrack the discussion, and mabye this is a topic for a wishlist discussion, but..

I wasn't aware of the 'direct to disk' approach, hadn't looked at the docs lately, but couple questions:

how do we extract the image layers from a .vrimg format?

what are the possibilities of alternate plugins, photoshop, et al?

if you can only open the vrimg in the vfb, how can you open a vfb unassociated with max?
      Dave Buchhofer. // Vsaiwrk

Comment

Early, you need to pass the correct blow-up data to V-Ray for this to work - looks like you are setting up only some of the necessary parameters describing the blow-up region.

As for the .vrimg files, there is a converter to openEXR format that supports all channels, or extract of only some channels. From then on, you can work with the .exr file in any application that supports it.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

can anyone tell us where to get this vrimg to openEXR converter?

I just did a search for vrimg and openEXR and got nothing at all on google.

I found a plugin for openEXR for photoshop...but that's it so far.

My problem is that Max runs out of memory when I open a file with the viewer that is too big.
          If that happens how am I suppose to use the vrimg file? Max isn't opening it because it is too big and I can't find anything else that supports the format.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjohn81
            can anyone tell us where to get this vrimg to openEXR converter?
            Email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Working...
            X