No announcement yet.

VRayColor Map diffrence in Max 2021 and 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To follow up, we found the reason for the issue.

The file "MtlBrowser.mpl" in "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3d sMax \20XX- 64bit\ENU\en-US\defaults\MAX" stores which material libaries are loaded in slate on startup (left side of slate).

If there are material libaries which contain old VRayColor maps, from before the rework of VRayColor, VRayColor operates in an "irregular mode". So, if you have loaded those old material libaries with old VRayColors, then even newly created VRayColor maps are operating weird, in a wrong way.

I think this is a VRay bug. Is it?

I have emailed you, Lele, a material libary which contains those old VRayColor maps and a little guide, so you can reproduce the issue. Can you confirm?

As soon as you unload all material libaries from slate and close max. Open max and create a VRayColor, it will work regular again, without issues.

The goal of a fix would be, that newly created VRayColors should work issue-free, even when some old VRayColors are sitting in loaded material libaries.
    Last edited by TubeSmokeGuy; 10-03-2022, 12:41 AM.

Comment

I have finally come to check your latest email, -sorry i was away- but unfortunately it doesn't repro for me.
      There may have been some other issue afoot in the way you manually set up v-ray, as you're the only ones to have ever had that issue (we have no trace of it anywhere in our bug tracker, the devs had no idea of how it could happen from our side on first analysis.).
      We're still looking into this, however.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
        I have finally come to check your latest email, -sorry i was away- but unfortunately it doesn't repro for me.
        There may have been some other issue afoot in the way you manually set up v-ray, as you're the only ones to have ever had that issue (we have no trace of it anywhere in our bug tracker, the devs had no idea of how it could happen from our side on first analysis.).
        We're still looking into this, however.
        I made a small video with repro steps for you. Unfortunately I cannot attach it here, so that everybody can see and understand whats going on, because attachment size of 2.0 MB is too tiny.
        This time I did it in max 2022 with a clean and fresh VRay default installation and no arbitrary location install. So you can safely exclude that the issue has something to do with that.
        I will upload it and sent you a mail.

Comment

That reproed, and has been sent to devs for analysis, thank you!
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

The issue has been filed as VMAX-11952.

We have an idea of how this may be happening now, thanks so much for the extensive investigative work done.
            Lele
            ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Great, thank you!

I'm curious about the fix and look forward to it.

Comment

Working...
              X