Toon Shader Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toon Shader Issue

I have build a simple scene and the Vegetation layer I made is not included in the Toon shader; however, all the trees render black (as if the leaves all have a stroke). Funny thing is that when the Light Cache is being built the trees look fine, but when they start to render they turn black... I have uploaded the 3ds max file and an render to show what I mean here: Chaos Forum Repository

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!​

Hi the trees and lights are missing from your scene but I replaced them with Chaos Cosmos ones and hopefully this is good enough for the purpose of the tread.

I think your issue is with the width of the VRayToon lines. The trees have small details like leas and from a distance and with a very thick line they will get black.
    You are using "pixel" for line width - this means that the width of the line will remain the same disregarding the distance from the camera.

Here are a few examples:
    - line is too thick for the trees
    Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2022-10-06_18-29-28.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1161630
    - line is too thin for the houses

Name:	3dsmax_2022-10-06_18-30-02.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	1161631

In order to have the houses and trees with a good looking toon effect you can create two with different line width and include/exclude respectively:

Name:	3dsmax_2022-10-06_18-36-40.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	1161632
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you for you prompt reply! Sorry I should have been more clear as to what I was trying to achieve. I don't want the trees to be effected by the Toon Shader, and the layer isn't included in the Toon shader. I have no idea why the Toon shader is effecting the Trees, they shouldn't be... any thoughts?

Comment

Hi are you using Chaos Scatter for the trees? There is an issue with Chaos Scatter and VRayToon that is being worked on right now. The scatter can not be excluded from the toon correctly.
        Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X