VFB window doesn't move smoothly when dragging it around

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VFB window doesn't move smoothly when dragging it around

I've noticed that the VFB window doesn't move smoothly when I'm dragging it around quickly. If I'm moving it slowly, it doesn't hitch.
    Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
    AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Can you illustrate the issue through a video recording?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes, you can download the video here (link expires in 7 days): https://we.tl/t-wHHQhYzdoT You can clearly see that other windows such as the Material Editor move perfectly smoothly. It's only the VFB that's stuttering while being dragged around. It's pretty jarring.

This happens on all workstations here. One of the workstations (the one in the video) has a fresh Windows install with the latest updates and the latest drivers and there's nothing running in the background that takes CPU or GPU resources. I don't remember this problem happening with earlier versions of V-Ray.
      Last edited by Alex_M; 01-11-2022, 03:56 AM.
      AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

Do you have a multi-monitor setup? On my end, it seems to stutter only when the VFB window edges go to the other monitors.

Comment

On the PC where I recorded the video I have only 1 monitor. The other workstation where the problem also appears has 2 monitors.

Comment

Doesn't happen on my end. Does it happen on a fresh scene?

Comment

It does, but it appears to be much less severe. It's very pronounced in complex scenes though to the point of being a hassle to move the window around.
              Last edited by Alex_M; 11-11-2022, 06:12 AM.

Comment

yeah im getting this too..very stuttery. I cant help feeling im having a lot of driver related issues with vray 6, so many crashes, restarts needed etc, on basic scenes too.

Heres a video of lag

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14MR...usp=share_link
                e: info@adriandenne.com
                w: www.adriandenne.com

Comment

I see.
                  Does the behaviour disappear if the VFB window is dragged AWAY from the Max ui, into empty desktop space?
                  I have a feeling the issue isn't with the VFB per se', but with the need to redraw the non-Qt Max UI.
                  Could someone with the issue kindly test this?
                  Lele
                  Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                  ----------------------
                  emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

still lags for me when over empty desktop space.

Comment

Originally posted by francomanko View Post
                      still lags for me when over empty desktop space.
                      Same here.

Comment

Would you kindly try two different things?
                        First, close the scene explorer, see if the issue of the glitching persists.
                        Then, with the scene explorer open, open a Max VFB, and minimise it. See if our VFB drags around as expected.
                        It feels like a fight for focus bewteen some parts of the Max UI and the VFB, i'll keep investigating, and keep you posted as soon as we can repro the exact behaviour and file a bug report (i.e. it's in our powers to fix.).
                        Lele
                        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I found out what triggers this! It has nothing to do with the Scene Explorer. It happens only if the VFB window touches the bottom edge or the right edge of the screen while moving it around. For some reason it doesn't happen when it touches the top edge or the left edge of the screen. It's still strange though why only the VFB has this issue. Other Max windows such as the material editor doesn't lag no matter which edge of the screen it touches while moving it around.

Comment

yeah i concur, bottom, left or right, but not top..there is a delay before the lag too Nice find.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                              I found out what triggers this! It has nothing to do with the Scene Explorer. It happens only if the VFB window touches the bottom edge or the right edge of the screen while moving it around. For some reason it doesn't happen when it touches the top edge or the left edge of the screen. It's still strange though why only the VFB has this issue. Other Max windows such as the material editor doesn't lag no matter which edge of the screen it touches while moving it around.
                              The VFB is the only Qt window of the ones you mentioned.
                              Could you verify the two cases i mentioned?
                              We're trying on our end, but the reproducibility is sketchy at best, even on different workstations.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                              X