No announcement yet.

vray render of tyflow tyactors (birds)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray render of tyflow tyactors (birds)

Hi, not sure if I should ask this here or in tyflow forum, but since its a render issue ill try here first.
    I have a flock of birds made via tyflow and tyactor (made a tycache from that) that im trying to render but are having some issues. The memory gets eaten up and max crashes after rendering around 50-80 frames (i have 128 gbof ram).It is around 2000 birds and they all are rendered with motion blur.
    I have tried to render with progressiv and bucket, but same thing happens. I have tried putting vray on "conserve memory" turned off the "keep frames in ram" in the tycache and the tycache has all the vray optimizations turned on(default).
    IF I try to cancel the render after it has eaten up 60-80gb of ram it uses 10-15 minutes to stop the render... you can see that it slowly unloads the memory bit by bit until it finishes.
    Is it because its a tyactor that is animated with motion blur that is eating up the memory? And why is it not releasing memory as it goes?
    Any tips on how to render this without hitting the roof and crashing... right now im rendering 30 frames at a time so the memory stays under 100 gb.

Nils

Without a scene, it's hard to tell.
    It could be that the flow you built pushes more data into v-ray's hands each frame (say, all birds duplicate in place each frame.), it could be odd render settings (full-sequence GI, f.e.), or just a bug on either side.
    Lele
    Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
    ----------------------
    emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
    The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

The flow itself isnt active, only the tycache. Not sure if there is anything special that I could have excluded for the tycache(used defaults). I would have sendt you the file, but just the cache is 82 gb all toghether. (400 frames, seperate frames. Biggest frame is around 265 mb). If you wish I can send you the file without the cache, just the max file with the flow.
      One thing I havent tried is to render the scene without caching out the birds. Maybe that will be different.

Comment

The file without the cache would be good, so long as i could rebuild the cache locally without too much issue.
        Otherwise, we have the room if you have the bandwidth.
        Lele
        ----------------------

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

As a test, you could try and set global moblur segments to 2 (i.e. linear blur trail) and then for the cache raise those as needed for curved trails (f.e. for the wings), which should help saving some memory, compared to raising segments globally.
          Lele
          ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

how do I send?

Comment

Via this page, that can also be reached from the V-Ray -> Help menu. (i'm being pedantic to the benefit of anyone else that may read. )
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
              X