Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Matte compositing reflection elements – known limitations/bugs?

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matte compositing reflection elements – known limitations/bugs?

Hi all.
    This issue is related to getting reflections on matte surfaces in render elements

Simple example scene: background- gray corner, hero- red ball.
    All materials have full contribution to alpha, then reflections are rendered to Light elements, and VrayReflection.

The non-matte set up:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	elements_fullAlpha.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1177709

Now If background material is set to be a Matte surface (either via VrayMtlWrapper, or Vray object settings), the full RGB renders correctly, while reflections don’t show up in any of the render elements, hindering compositing options. Like so:

Name:	elements_matteBG.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1177710

This a big problem for compositing, that I’m currently trying to work around. Especially was expecting to have light control in composite.
    Matte settings just in case:

Name:	matte_settings.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	1177708
    Any insight into whether this is expected, or bugs, or I have something wrong in my setup would be much appreciated. Thanks!
  • Answer selected by hermit.crab at 12-04-2023, 01:57 AM.

Turns out it's a known issue (internal bug-tracker: VMAX-6479). LPEs display the issue as well, unfortunately. Logged it in as well (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-13218 ). What you can do is use the current Full Light Select (without matte reflections/gi) and extract it from the RGB. This will get you the missing information.

Comment

Hm, I'm uncertain if matte reflections are considered. I'll do some testing and write back.
      Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Turns out it's a known issue (internal bug-tracker: VMAX-6479). LPEs display the issue as well, unfortunately. Logged it in as well (internal bug-tracker id: VMAX-13218 ). What you can do is use the current Full Light Select (without matte reflections/gi) and extract it from the RGB. This will get you the missing information.
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for the update. And thanks for the suggestion, yep that totally works, much appreciated!

Comment

Working...
          X