Can NOT bake the correct normal map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can NOT bake the correct normal map

This problem has been bothering me for a long time, the bake normal not same as the original normal map, the question is simple,
    how to bake a Correct normal same as original normal rendering result ?

like the attached sample, my original normal bump set 300, baked by max, come out the bump default set 30, the rendering normal bump result is different, even i set the bump from 30 to 300, the result still different (supporse all bump data already save to normal map which i baked out, i should not change the bump, as if i need to change the bump, what bump should i set to make the result same as original?

I have try to change the Intensity of different parameters in VRayNormalMap, but the bump result still not the same, the bake map can not use on PBR system.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pro-01_re.jpg Views:	0 Size:	494.7 KB ID:	1178619
    Last edited by a_fung; 20-04-2023, 07:30 PM.

Is there anyone can help Vray bake a Correct normal? it's very important, If it can't bake the correct normal, it means that vray can't be used on UE, and it's not suitable for the game industry. I will switch to blender for my project. I sure hope vray can do it.​

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting. We are looking into your issue. I will get back to the thread with details.
      Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi, there are a few things to point out here.
        If you save your baked texture in exr format your gamma will be fine. But if you use another like for instance png it will be in the wrong gamma and you will need to set it up like this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2023-04-25_17-52-47.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1179022

Another important thing is that in order for the bump to look identical you need to bake it with a value of 30 and then after that load it in a material with a value of 100
        Click image for larger version

Name:	3dsmax_2023-04-25_17-56-24.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	474.7 KB
ID:	1179023

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir_krastev View Post
          Hi, there are a few things to point out here.
          If you save your baked texture in exr format your gamma will be fine. But if you use another like for instance png it will be in the wrong gamma and you will need to set it up like this:
          Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2023-04-25_17-52-47.jpg Views:	136 Size:	86.9 KB ID:	1179022

Another important thing is that in order for the bump to look identical you need to bake it with a value of 30 and then after that load it in a material with a value of 100
          Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2023-04-25_17-56-24.jpg Views:	123 Size:	474.7 KB ID:	1179023
          I'm glad to hear your reply, you still care about customers, as you said "you need to bake it with a value of 30 and then after that load it in a material with a value of 100", Actually I have a question for a long time, is that mean vray only can bake a value 30 bump map?
          1.If my design need a 300 bump like my case ,so vray can't bake correctly? (even vray normal map value or vray material bump value)
          2.As you said after bake my material bump need to set 100, is that a standard parameters? or just lucky this time 100 fit the original normal, next time may not be 100?
          3.I see your uploaded photo, u put the normal map to bump and high mark it, what does it mean? suppose link it to normal map.

I know I have a lot of bake questions, but those are important to sure vray can work in game industry, We can't find the answer in user manual. Thank you for your support and looking for reply, thanks.
          Last edited by a_fung; 18-07-2023, 08:04 PM.

Comment

2.As you said after bake my material bump need to set 100, is that a standard parameters? or just lucky this time 100 fit the original normal, next time may not be 100?
            You have to keep this proportion (30 to 100) when baking and after loading. My screen grab shows the correct workflow, please connect you maps as I did.

Comment

Working...
            X