Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can we get Triplanar mapping to work on Alembic/VrayProxy files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can we get Triplanar mapping to work on Alembic/VrayProxy files?

I was wondering if Chaos could implement a method to get the Triplanar and other noise maps to work on Alembic/VrayProxy Files such as the rest attribute in Houdini or the reference frame method?

This would alleviate the need to UV unwrap things all the time and I prefer the tri-planar look more anyway.

Thanks so much.
    Cheers.

Hi, thanks for posting. I did a quick test in 3ds Max. It seems like VRayTriplanarMap works with vrmesh and not with alembic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2023-08-30_15-57-13.jpg Views:	0 Size:	237.6 KB ID:	1189607

The issue is reported under VMAX-13564 in our system.
    Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi vladimir_krastev , does this work if the mesh deforms as well?

Cheers.

Comment

So I just tested this with Vrmesh export from Houdini and the tri-planar mapping still doesn't stick to the deforming geometry.

On the same note, I've noticed that the file size for Vrmesh is huge compared to Alembic. The exact same sequence is:

Alembic - 64.34 MB
        vrmesh - 3.908 GB

So it's 60 times larger. maybe I'm not doing something on the export node properly, but I can't see what that would be.

Comment

Hi, could you send us a test scene so we can review it? You can do that here or through the support contact form. If you choose the contact form please include a link to this thread for better tracking.
          Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
          X