X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New System, Max2024 and a Stable 5.2 Version are Crashing

Dear Team,

I've recently started working with a new computer that was thoroughly tested and approved by the company I purchased it from (I always hope their stamp of approval holds up!). So far, all apps seem to be running smoothly—Unreal 5.2 and 5.3, SubstancePainter's internal renderer, etc.

However, I downloaded the latest version of 3DsMax 2024 and the last version labeled "Stable" of 5.2 (vray_adv_52024_max2024_x64_32360_install.zip).

My system specs are:
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K 3.20 GHz
    • 128 GB RAM
    • GeForce 4090
    • Windows 10 Pro

I've worked with previous versions of Vray as well. Now, onto the issue: I'm creating a simple scene with a cube and a light. The object has a VrayMTl with default settings. When I view this in the VFB, everything works correctly for a few seconds, then it freezes, and 3dsMax crashes. This happens with both the CPU and GPU renderers.

I've tried updating to the latest Nvidia drivers and even completely disabling my antivirus, concerned it might interfere with the License Manager.

These are all the details I can think of at the moment. Perhaps you might have an idea or suggestion that could help resolve this issue?
    Attached Files
  • Answer selected by vladimir_krastev at 04-01-2024, 09:17 AM.

Hey Vladimir, We've found the issue.

It was the multithreading in my system. I had a similar setup with a 3090. After checking my records, I thought I'd give it a try because the issue wasn't just happening with 3dsmax, but also when I tried to render with Cycles in Blender or with Arnold.
    So, it wasn't a Vray problem.

The "way to go" here is to disable multithreading for the OS in the BIOS and then test it again. I just wanted to mention it here so that someone else might figure it out!

Wishing you a great start to the new year!

Comment

Hi, thanks for posting. The build you have installed is not officially released build but a stable build.
      This means it is prone to issues. There is no official support for V-Ray 5 under 3ds Max 2024.
      You could try reinstalling or using a different stable build (from a different date).
      Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hey Vladimir, thanks a lot for getting back to me. I tried it this evening on my home computer with the same file and settings/versions.

Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core 64 gigs of RAM GeForce 3090

It worked there, which is frustrating because it makes pinpointing the issue much more complicated. Tomorrow, I'll test out the other versions. I understand your policy, but it can be tough when a client wants to work with a Max version I don't have in sync with a specific Vray version. But that's a separate issue.

If you or anyone else comes up with something like, "Hey, you need to press something here," I'd appreciate it, even though I don't think the issue is that simple. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

Hey Vladimir, We've found the issue.

It was the multithreading in my system. I had a similar setup with a 3090. After checking my records, I thought I'd give it a try because the issue wasn't just happening with 3dsmax, but also when I tried to render with Cycles in Blender or with Arnold.
          So, it wasn't a Vray problem.

The "way to go" here is to disable multithreading for the OS in the BIOS and then test it again. I just wanted to mention it here so that someone else might figure it out!

Wishing you a great start to the new year!

Comment

Thanks a lot for confirming. Happy new year to you too as well.
            Vladimir Krastev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
            X