Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to save a tonemapped sequence with the Gamma workflow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to save a tonemapped sequence with the Gamma workflow?

Hi everyone, I had to retouch some old files (version 3.x kind of old), so I decided to stick with the Gamma workflow, since I don't have a good understanding of ACES yet.

Loading the original scene in Vray 6.2 gave me renders that are identical to the old ones, so that was a good start. I moved the lights around, applied Filmic (Hable) and test-rendered. All I was after was the RGB, no additional layers, no compositing process.
    The result looked considerably muted in After Effects. I saved the sequence as .exr and ticked the "save VFB color corrections to RGB channel" but it didn't do the trick.

I'm not asking for a step-by-step guide, just want to know if I can save what I see in the frame buffer without investing time to learn ACES.

Is the color profile in After Effects sRGB (or identical to the one in the VFB display correction)?
    Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hi Hermit, the color profile in AE is sRGB, as is the VFB display. I'm using the same colorspace in Photoshop, with the same exact results.

The first attachment is a screenshot of the VFB, the second one is how the saved .exr looks like in Photoshop and After Effects.
      My first impression was that the .exr lacked VFB's tone-mapping. I removed it and the image in the VFB looked more desaturated than attachment "b", so that's probably not the case.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of the VFB settings, which are practically the default ones, save for the tone-mapper.

There was an occasion where I test-rendered a 60-frame sequence and the result was 99% identical to what I was seeing in the VFB, but I haven't managed to replicate that since.

Edit: Copying to clipboard has the same result as saving the render.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by dimitrios_kapiniaris; 05-04-2024, 04:57 AM.

Comment

What are your Color Management settings? Also, does the difference occur if you save the image with the "Display correction" baked?
        Aleksandar Hadzhiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X