No announcement yet.

DR and Missing maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the disconnection time. im using the mapped network drive and ive had things rendering for about a week without it ever disconnecting. Standard install of windows and standard setup of the mapped network drive. took about 1 minute or less to do the mapped drive so im not sure why it seems to difficult to do it when setting up a render farm.

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf
      Whats the disconnection time. im using the mapped network drive and ive had things rendering for about a week without it ever disconnecting. Standard install of windows and standard setup of the mapped network drive. took about 1 minute or less to do the mapped drive so im not sure why it seems to difficult to do it when setting up a render farm.
      As jujubee mentioned, mapped drives can sometimes "disconnect", and without running a 3rd party utility to manually reconnect them, you have restart windows to fix it.

The disconnect can be caused by a number of different things, firewalls, servers shutting down, network interruptions, timeouts, etc. On bigger networks (like mine) its just too much hassle and time consuming to even mess with.

Comment

Yeah - mentioned before - enter this into your command prompt on each computer:

net config server /autodisconnect:-1

see if that helps. i havent had any issues except when a computer is manually restarted then i just double-click the mapped drive again and all is good.
        LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
        HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
        Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

Andrew,

try to use maps NOT located under your 3dmax folder.

I had your same problem, and the only way to guarantee all DRs slaves would properly read the maps has been:

1. ALL maps files should have a network path (\\server\path\filename.ext) OR (NetworkDriveLetter:/path/filename.ext)

2. NOWHERE in those paths there should be the MAX7 folder (MAX8 in your case).

What happened to me is that my MAX7 folder got somehow locked to network access, even for read only access.
          So I copied all matlib files and max textures folder tree under my other general 3D library, and everything works fine.

It's worth it a try if you have not tried yet.

regards

gio

Comment

well as i said ive never seen this network disconnection and the render slaves only have a standard install of windows (modifyed with this.. http://www.3dluvr.com/content/article/123 " then i simply install max and thats all. i dont need firewalls on the farm since its not attached to the internet.

---------------------------------------------------
            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
            X