Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with vray proxy objects - is there a size limit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with vray proxy objects - is there a size limit?

Hi Folks,

I have to do a shot of an orchard for an ad which transitions into live action trees and thus i have to use insane amounts of detail to get anything to look good. I've ended up converting aec trees into geometry since the scene will have around 75 million polys in the end . Anyway, I made my tree object and use the convert to vray proxy to turn it into something viable to render but I got really dark results from my renders. Just as a test I compared the ogirinal source tree with the vray proxy version of the same tree and here's what came out:

The source object is an editable mesh object with three material ids, and shouldn't have any duplicate faces - has anyone seen this before and if so what did you do to solve it?

The source tree itself has around 700,000 faces - is there a limit on the detail in a vray proxy?

How about materials, or any incompatible types of maps, etc.

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

Comment

are there opacity mapped leaves there anywhere?

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Heya Nikki - the tree itself is only using basic materials at the moment so there's no textures or opacity maps being used at all - We were originally using the AEC tree objects from 3dsmax 7 but found that the results we were getting were quite bad - the trees looked very smudgy and crap overall and took an age to render. The geometry trees were far nicer and rendered quicker.

The material for the trees is a multi sub object mat with 3 sub mats. The leaf and flower materials are simple colours with a colour correct to convert them into gamma 1.8 and a little bit of self illumination to simulate translucency / gi.

Just curious - we're doing a camera move slowly swooping over an orchard and down into it - Does the vray proxy object do any kind of dynamic update that may cause it to flicker in any way?

Comment

False alarm - I'm stupid. There were hidden faces that were being exported too. More problems to come though

Comment

Working...
          X