Scene bounding box & Far from Origin ERRORs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scene bounding box & Far from Origin ERRORs

These are 2 warning messages, which appear in the V-Ray Message Box when the scene has some minor problems.
    However they may not influence the final rendering image, but here is some clarification of them.

... Scene too far from Origin ...

This warning means that the entire geometry is far away from the Origin
    point - XYZ (0,0,0). This usually happens when the model is imported
    from some other software like AutoCAD, etc.

Possible solution:

(*) Select all the geometry - Ctrl+A
    (*) Group it all and name it - like Group A.
    (*) Select the group.
    (*) Right-click on the move icon, the floating coordinates will appear.
    (*) Under the Absolute:World - you will see the real position of the group.
    (*) Put zeros (0) to all the X, Y, Z values. (right click on the spinners)
    (*) This will bring the group in the very Origin point.
    (*) Ungroup

See after rendering, whether the error appears again.

... Scene bounding box is too large, possible raycast errors ...

Thit error usually means one of the following:

Case 1
    The scene probably contains some objects which are far from all the others. They however may not be visible, but to present in the scene.
    This is often happening with some 2D (AutoCAD, Microstation) drawings, e.g. blocks' insertion points, buggy objects, which during the import
    process haven't entered correctly or they have, but do not present any real geometry.

Possible solution:

(*) Unhide and unfreeze all, so that every geometry is visible in the scene.
    (*) Hit - Ctrl+Shift+Z in Top view
    (*) This will Zoom Extend all the scene.
    If you are not seeing your scene zoomed extend to fit the whole
    viewport, then you have some objects away.
    (*) Locate those objects and delete them.
    (*) Repeat from step 2, until the scene fits the viewport.

Case 2
    Your geometry may be out of proper scale, e.g. modelling a building in mm.
    (*) Rescale it correctly.
    Check the (Customize -> Units Setup -> Display Unit Scale)
    Also check - the < System Unit Setup >

Best regards,
    nikki Candelero
    .:: FREE Your MINDs, LIVE Your IDEAS ::.

good info...

i might add:

it's always good to get rid of the invisible zero-geometry "block" objects when importing DWG files.
    they slow things down and even caused some problems with earlier vray versions.

they can be isolated with the selection dialog, by entering "block" into the selection filter.
    Marc Lorenz
    ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
    www.marclorenz.com
    www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

good info guys.
      I always move my autocad plans/models etc before I start modelling just to make sure everything is going to be at 0,0,0 or close to it
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Whats the actual distance involved that brings upon that error? I always clean up my cad drawings as much as possible.

Ive also had it when working from scratch before Its pretty rare that I dont get it when working on a scene.

Also, - it says it may cause raycast errors, but does it actually make a noticable difference? I cant say ive ever seen anything fuck up, even on a 2km sq site plan.

Comment

I have those errors with my current project as I have imported a large amount of terrain. I don't know how the end result will be effected.
          LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
          HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
          Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I have this problem, and it seems to dramatically slow down lightcache and rendering calculations when using the fish-eye lens.

The model is at 0,0,0, and I've tried adjusting the system units, but the problem is still there. I'm not keen on scaling my scene(until final render) as it means all the modifiers values will be out of whack.
            Patrick Macdonald
            Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

Originally posted by re:FORM
              I have this problem, and it seems to dramatically slow down lightcache and rendering calculations when using the fish-eye lens.
              What are the light cache settings? You are not using World scale for the light cache, are you?

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Nope
                Standard adaptive qmc setup. I should also point out, I'm not running v1.5 yet.

I've PM'ed you the file with the problem. See if you have the same difference in LC speed with fish-eye on and off.

Don't worry about fixing it for me.... I don't actually need to use the fish-eye lens on this project.... but I thought it would be worth finding out why this was happening and if there was a work around for future projects. ( I wouldn't want to disturb you from the pressing issue of dongle shipment! :P )

Thanks again Vlado.
                Patrick Macdonald
                Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

So what are you supposed to do when you have a large terrain set to scale?
                  LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                  HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                  Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

dont worry about it juju, we have never had any issues with the error message
                    Chris Jackson
                    Shiftmedia
                    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Never had problems with this message on a 32 bit platform. On a 64 bit platform, it can make a huge difference. Changing the scene on a 64 bit platform in order to get rid of this message makes the file render much faster. Sometimes it doesn't render when the scene is outside of the limits.

Marc

Comment

Getting rid of the Blocks does not always work. I often work with Microstation modelled files and sometimes you can delete the Block objects but sometimes you shouldn't even touch or let alone delete them. Any object that is linked to them will move to some obscure location or be deleted. I'm still trying to work out a good solution since it seems be on the Microstation export side where the problem is and I'm not using Microstation to model (yet)

The only constant seems to be when objects are imported and were instanced when they were modelled...
                        Max 8 SP3
                        V-Ray 1.5 SP2
                        WinXP SP3
                        Dual Xeon 3.4GHz
                        2GB RAM

Comment

I am wondering, what is the maximum bounding box size ? Is it relative to memory ?
                          Philippe Steels
                          Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

who knows?! I'm using mm in both display and system units and I get this error all the time, however it doesn't seem to be effecting anything...
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

I just ran into this issue. The bounding box hasn't changed size, there are just now far more objects within that area. The result is most of the small objects simply don't show up!

Comment

Working...
                              X