X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So ? Where is your file ?

you can up here rapidshare.de (or .com)
    I just can't seem to trust myself
    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    CG Artist

Comment

hahaha nah no one will make fun of your modelling skills... heck we all started noobish at the beginning anyway

Yeah you will need to host the file somewhere, so rapidshare.de is probabaly the best bet.

Yeah there is always people on the forum, most of whom are very helpfull. So if you have any questions dont hesitate to post, but just do a quick search before you do as your question may have already been answered

p.s. heading home for dinner now. So will post back in an hour or so.

Comment

I will upload it now and post a link.

Comment

Here is a link to the file and the HDRI for the environment.

http://rapidshare.com/files/339174/blue_bottle.zip.html

Thanks for the help...you guys rock.

JR

Comment

Hm, you didn't say you use old (non 1.5 rc3) version...
            Here's a straight render from max9 x64

Increased refraction depth to 12
            CG Artist

Comment

Sorry about not mentioning that I wasn't using 1.5.

Your render definately looks better. Is it still a little wierd though? even in your render, does it look strange to you or is it... A) My eyes are exhausted right now...or B) The flat nature of the object is making it look wierd...or C) I modeled the object in a way that sucks...or D) The shader is not setup correctly...or E) All or some of the above???

Also, what happens in 1.5 if you turn off the "Refraction Exit Color" for the glass shader I put on the blue bottle object?? I would be curious to see what that did to the areas around the "neck" and "cap".

Comment

The image with the higher depth value looks even better still...

Comment

Is it due to me using Max 8 or me not using VRay 1.5?

Comment

Well, I think you should relax about your modeling skills Use latest VRay, as it contains several bugfixes (it's about reflection/refraction too). Exit color - when... so I quote the manual
                    if a ray has reached its maximum reflection/refraction depth, this color will be returned without tracing the ray further.
                    That's it Cheers.
                    CG Artist

Comment

I appreciate the help and the insight from everyone here.

I am going to update to the latest version of both Max and VRay.

Your time and efforts are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks Paul for the kind words about my modeling...I'm tryin anyway -- slowly but surely...ha ha ha.

I do know one thing...I have to go get some rest as my day has to be over. Ugh.

James

Comment

I modelled the inside of the bottle and basically got the same results as with the shell modifier.
                        Also you are getting some funny refractions around the cork as its not modelled properly and actually sticks quite abit thru the mesh. Re-model that so it doesnt really intersect and you will have a nicer outcome up there.

Also increase the reflection and refraction depth to 25 in the material this will also help the black areas.

Comment

Originally posted by bolex
                          PS - To StudioDIM: If you are still out there, you may get a kick out of this...I went to my mother's house for dinner tonight and she sent me home with a large plate of eggplant parmigiana. I am about to eat a huge sandwich...mmmm...cooked with love.
                          Unbeatable Mum's Parmigianas
                          Lucky you mate, lucky you!

Lele

Comment

The cap fit originally, but when I saw the troubled render, I assumed that it was just because the wall thickness for the bottle was too low...so I cranked up the inner and outer thickness settings for the Shell modifier. I forgot to shrink the cap. I am going to fix it now.

I will also adjust the reflect and refract depth values. Should I keep the refraction exit color "enabled", or should I scratch that? it does appear to be helping in the neck, but I am gonna re-model that now. Thoughts and suggestions are welcomed, and may even earn you some home-made food from a lovely little Italian woman.

PS- please pardon typos or errors...I am exhausted right now and the delerium is taking over my brain.

Comment

Ahh right that explains that then.

I believe the main reason your seeing the darkness is because of the angle of the render, the squarness of the bottle and most of all your high fog levels. Lower the fog and the edges get brighter.

Also if you remove all the fog and just render out a clear glass with the both reflect and refract exit colors to be a bright red, you will notice that there is a fair amount of red in the edges of the glass, if you crank both max depth values up to 75 all the red should go. It doesnt really add much/any to the render time at the current setup anyway and atleast you know that your not cutting of the reflection or refraction too early

Apart from that it looks basically fine

Comment

sweet. thanks so much for the help and insight, I sincerely appreciate the time and effort from everyone who has helped me here.

I can't work on this project for the next couple of days, but I will incorporate the changes suggested here.

Comment

Working...
                                X