Vray proxy disappearing in animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray proxy disappearing in animation

I am running an animation and some of my Vray proxy objects randomly disappear. I have the proxies in a location that all the computers can see and a second location that is included in Max's search path. I also tried launching the job through backburner using include maps. Nothing seem to consistently work. Any ideas?

Thanks,

-Shane

Copy the proxies locally to each machine; that always works.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado, I'll give it a try.

Comment

Make sure all your proxy paths are UNC.
        "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Using network paths instead of drive letter paths for your proxies also seem to help.
          "A severed foot would make the ultimate stocking stuffer"
          -Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Yes, that is what UNC is. Drive letter paths are relative, and if not logged on, they cannot use them. UNC is the "absolute" path. This is basic windows networking...
            "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Thanks guys I did use unc paths. Vlado's suggestion seem to be working. Although it's quit a pain moving the proxies to the local machines.

Comment

Is UNC as same as mapping for instance, a certain partition on one computer as a network drive?

I'm trying to render a proxy tree via backburner but it always seems to be missing on the slave machines. I've set up the proxy so it uses the mesh from a network drive but still no luck.
                Dusan Bosnjak
                http://www.dusanbosnjak.com/

Comment

UNC is \\computername\folder instead of mapped drive letters like G:\folder.

Mapped drives bad, UNC good.
                  | LinkedIn | Twitter | JCanimator.com |

Comment

actually it is \\computername\sharename\folder
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

All of our proxies are unc and it is still happaning form time to time..
                      it has become part of the workflow , render the animatin... checking for missing proxies...rendering the missing proxies frames again and again.....

Is there a good solution for that?(don't tell me to copy them to local machines...)
                      http://www.3dvision.co.il

Comment

Originally posted by gilicom View Post
                        All of our proxies are unc and it is still happaning form time to time..
                        it has become part of the workflow , render the animatin... checking for missing proxies...rendering the missing proxies frames again and again.....

Is there a good solution for that?(don't tell me to copy them to local machines...)
                        Beef up your network?

We use a lot of proxies and I don't remember any ever being dropped...
                        Eric Boer
                        Dev

Comment

What we have done in the past is check the bad frames out in Backburner to see what machine is causing the problem and then remap the drives on that machine, after rebooting it. Normally the issue will go away.
                          Cheers
                          Mike K
                          Two heads are better than one ...
                          ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

I wanted to add to this thread that I've also been having this problem. A scene that is almost completely proxy because of the density. From my experience certain machines on the network will fail at different times. There isn't one machine that constantly fails. Also I've seen that man of these times certain proxies will load while others will fail. So all the proxies never fail completely.

possible issues:

- folder paths: all the proxies are in different folders, alongside matching max files. So there could be problems with the naming of certain locations
                            - quantity of proxies. The specific file I'm working with is around 30 or 50 thousand objects
                            - server connection issues, starts loading proxies and then trips up

not sure..
                            so for now I render all the way through and then go back to patch
                            Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

I would bet just about anything that it all network related
                              Eric Boer
                              Dev

Comment

Working...
                              X