Render Crash Max9 64bit Vray 1.5 rc3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render Crash Max9 64bit Vray 1.5 rc3

We're having a strange bug we think is vray related. We have a scene that will immediately crash on rendering and give the usual max error box. What were doing is taking the file that was created in max 8 32bit (32bit OS) and opening it on max9 64bit (64bit OS) to be sent to 64bit rendernodes. It will immediately crash regardless if its rendered locally on the 64bit machine or the 64bit renderblade.

Strangely it will render fine on 32bit nodes, though memory quickly brings it own problems. We resolved the issue (after alot of troubleshooting) by switching the renderer from vray to scanline, and back to vray on the 64bit max9 machine. It then renders fine. It would seem, vray did not like the switch to the 64bit machine. And that makes sense to me in a way, except for the fact that it would render fine regardless at a lower resolution. I didn't take the time to find the exact resolution threshold.

Anybody have this issue?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

hey percy,
    i've haven't had any problems like this yet. i think my setup is similar to yours. i've been running max 64bit and vray 64bit since they came out without any issues. and like you i am forced to work with files that were saved in 32bit versions.
    did you save a copy of the problem scene so we can look at it?
    www.boxxtech.com

Comment

well, I've thought of trying to pare the scene down to a small file that could be shared, but I just dont know if its possible. Of course we would only be attempting this switch midstream to the 64bit, because its direly needed. I thought I would try and get some feedback without a scene before doing anything else.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

just an update. A coworker confirmed that the problem might be tied to some sort of preset config file or something. He got crashes even after changing to scanline and back if he used a vray preset he created for the file before switching to scanline. Not using the preset and recreating all his settings from scratch and it would render fine.

Comment

Do you have such a crashing scene that you can send to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com? I've loaded older scenes into max9 64-bit but I haven't come across this issue.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ill see what I can come up with today.

Comment

Working...
            X