Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement

Hi,

Until now I have mainly used displacement for landscaping, and thought I'd try brickwork. I create my models by tracing splines over elevations and then converting them to editable polys. I then rotate these polys and place them together to form the outer skin of a building. The image below illustrates two rectangles converted to polys; one rotated 90 degrees in the z axis and placed next to the other to form a corner:

The joint is open because they are two separate polys. When I create openings in the walls the corners also open with displacement. I've looked thru the forums and found adding a meshsmooth modifier corrects this - and it does. However if I "attach" the polys to make one editable poly of all the walls the corners between remain open.

I've tried both 2D and 3D displacement including with keep continuity.

Sorry if this is a bit long-winded.

Can anyone help before I revert to a bump map!

Thanks,

Trev

The "keep continuity" option can only work within a single mesh; so you will need to attach the polys into one mesh to make this work.

With this said, if you are not going to get close to the bricks, it's probably better to just use a bump map.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado,

I'm beginning to think the same. However, when I use the attach button under editable poly to create a single poly I still get open joints between the two original polys (reveals are fine). Should I be using some other method to make a single poly?

Thanks

Trev

Comment

Make sure you also weld the vertices along the seam.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado!

Comment

Working...
          X