Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shadows opacities

Hi all,
    I’m looking for methods to make the shadow less black in a GI scene. I'm not trying to make them more soft but decrease their opacity.
    I’m beginning with vray and I found a way to do that but I’m not sure it’s the cleanest way to have best result.

- The first image was computed using QMC for primary bounce’s GI (none for second) and an VrayHDRI basic blue sky for sky light + a VRaySun with basic settings and intensity multiplier set to 0,001.
    - The second has same parameters but i’ve changed color mapping Linear multiply to Gamma correction (1-0,8-1,5) as you can see :

This method is effective but it act on the final image colors, so at very last step of computing… it’s not a problem for me in this case but maybe someone here know different way ?
    Changing sun shadow bias, or primary bounce multiplier number has no incidence on the blackness off the shadows, and increase the HDRI multiplier make the image burned (sorry for my french). The scene is an animation so i can't use irradiance bounces.
    Who can tell me more ?

Thank you for your opinion !!

Who's gonna say it?
    This signature is only a temporary solution

Comment

What happens if you use the second bounce? My guess is that light will scatter around more, so you will get less darker shadows?

Comment

whispers: search for "lwf"

Comment

Thank you Joost Ink but using QMC as second bounce decrease shadow but increse the light and burn the objets in the same time...

Sushidelic, could you tell me more about lwf ?

Comment

thieuma

Try a search on the forum fella.......

Comment

get ready for a brainstorm and a lot of readinggggggg!

just search on the forum...there r a few long and very instructive threads!
              there s even a video tutorial from lukx, if my memory ist fooling me!
              good luck
              Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
              nuno@ene-digital.com
              00351 917593145

Comment

a link to start with:

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=15303

do a forum search for lwf or linear workflow and you'll find enough posts to keep you busy the whole day - but in general i guess that's the way to really catch your problem by it's roots.

anyway, there is a plugin material by blur called "raytraceshadow transparency override" - with this plugin you can adjust shadow transparency independently from the object density and it used to work with vray. But that's just peanuts, the link above brings you closer to the real stuff. Once you're there, you'll never go back

Comment

thank you for your help, thank you for the link !!

Comment

IMHO if turning on secondaries is burning out you scene thane you should probably look at adjusting your lighting setup.
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                      IMHO if turning on secondaries is burning out you scene thane you should probably look at adjusting your lighting setup.
                      That's what I thought. No need to dig into LWF for a simple scene like this. But, reading about LWF and understanding it is very much worth the time in any case.

Comment

The Sun intensity is set to 0,001 so i can't decrease it, but maybe i should decrease the HDRI multiplier... Ive'to make some tryouts...
                        Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by RErender
                          I've uderstood the sentence and your advise but the first word... IMHO... sorry but what does that mean ?

Comment

Originally posted by thieuma
                            The Sun intensity is set to 0,001 so i can't decrease it, but maybe i should decrease the HDRI multiplier... Ive'to make some tryouts...
                            Thank you !
                            In that case, I would do a search on using vray sun and sky.
                            what I usually do is:
                            - leave sun etc default
                            - use a physical cam, ISO:100 and shuttertime: 60-125 whatever looks good.
                            just some pointers.

Comment

Sounds like you have alot going on in the scene with lighting. Two things, I'd turn on secondaries and adjust your lights as rerender suggests. I'd also refer you to the great tutorial Lele created on balancing scenes using the vray sun...http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...ic.php?t=17824
                              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X