No announcement yet.

light cache crashes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if max is just disappearing usually its running out of memory.

Comment

so, same scene renders ok in max7/vray1.4, but runs out of ram in max9/1.5.

is it possible that autodesk has "improved" memory managment for max9?

Comment

I may be something to do with vray as well? I doubt max has anything to do with it.

In the scenes that you have that crash. Are you using any displacement?
        I find 3d displacement if not setup correctly especially when paired with LC, it will use alot of memory, where as switching back to 2d the render will proceed normally.

Comment

well, i had similar problems when renderering high res images with vray in max7. max just disapeared or the rendering just stoped. if you allready calculated the irr and lc, then render your final images in regions and put them together in ps. that was the only workaround we found to render out images in A3...
          www.short-cuts.de

Comment

i had no displacement,

i know it looks like a ram problem, what intrigues me is that when it crashes it using only 1.2 out of 2 gig
            and i had the same problem on 3 different machines so its unlikely to be bad ram.

Comment

i found that the 3GB switch helped my problem a bit,
              still crashes but not so often.

i rendered to the vr image file , this works,but have problems converting it

when i double click on vrimg2exr.exe it opens te dos window an closes it imediatly

any suggestions ?

thank you

Comment

Originally posted by jean-piere
                when i double click on vrimg2exr.exe it opens te dos window an closes it imediatly
                Go to the Start menu > Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray for 3dsmax > Tools > VRImg to OpenEXR converter.

This will open a command prompt, which will stay open with a list of all options for vrimg2exr. All you have to do is type

vrimg2exr d:\path\to\file\image.vrimg

Where you need to replace the actual path and name of the .vrimg file.

As for the particular crashing problem, it would appear that the run-time libraries used in 3dsmax 9 have a somewhat worse (although perhaps faster) memory management system than the one used for 3dsmax 6-8. This means that scenes that rendered in max 8 and were close to the memory limit are more likely to fail in 32-bit max 9. On 64-bit 3dsmax, there is no problem, of course.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Vlado,

thank you, that explains the problems I am having,
                  so I should move to Win64

Comment

Working...
                  X