Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• viewport, mateditor, rendering bug?

Hello evryone,
    ive bumped into a strange bug which is i think more max related, but influences heavily the rendertime....

take a look at this viewport screenshot

what u see is one selected poly....although it looks like two overlapping faces, its actually one selected polygon
    Each sinlge geometry does this in the file....when i select a poly its doing this.

Also in the mat editor....all unused slots render pure white.

And the render is taking for ages as if it was redering twice...i also had to raise secondary rays bias to above zero to ged rid of some artefacts on object surfaces..

It all happened after i imported into the scene one 3D object from Autocad..

Has anyone ever had this issue?

i have the scene rared if anyone wants to take a look at it.

Really weird and it leaves me restless

Appreaciate any help.

Thank you very much

Martin
    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

one more thing....in reality there is no overlapping face sin the scenes geometry

and

the object i imported from cad is not present in the scene anymore
    teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

If you wish, you can send me some small part of your scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com to take a look; I'm not sure what may be wrong right away.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

thank you vlado, will do so tommorow once i get in the office.

best regards

martin
        teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

I have seen something similar on another file which I think had been imported in from autocad.

When moving the camera around the geometry would shimmer and the triangles would flicker just like double faces.. but it definitly was not doulbe faces.
          Never solved it.. just moved on.

Comment

I have seen messed up UVW's on imported objects, are the vertices welded?
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

yep all is welded, all the geometry is done precisely and kept as low poly as possible...

BUT GUESS WHAT....ive solved it myself for change ))))

what ive done was that i sledcted the building.....saved selection and merged back into a new file....and it works....

Thank you for your help guys and for your comments.

Still dont know why Autodesk talks about backward and forward compatibility of its software when its not even able to import export a simple model....

best regards

Martin
              teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

I had a think about this today.. and came across a wild and possible simple explanation.. most people use directx for their viewport display right. What if it was a corrupt directx mesh cache (as you can turn on mesh caching)
                If you could do me a favour and try the following if you still have that file.
                Try turning on directx mesh caching in the viewport preferences and failing that try switching to opengl and then reopening the file.
                The chances of it working are rather slim but it might atleast explain whats going on.

Comment

will have to try that asap daforce....cos i myself am curious what has caused this

it is true though that when i imported the cad model in, some of its polys were flipped or even missing....how that affects the newly built models within the file itself i do not know....perhaps we will find out tommorow
                  teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

oops just noticed a significant typo.. i meant try turning the mesh caching OFF.. no ON like I said for some reason .. hehe

Let me know if it works.

Comment

heheh...completely forgot about this post

i have ran into this problem again....have tried to turn off the mesh caching...no joy ..have tried to revert to opengl ....did not help

really would like to know whats going on....happens almost everytime i import something from cad....the only way to work it around is to finish the modelling from the cad imports and then simply select just the 3d objects created in max...save selection and merge them into a new file...

kind of annoying though

martin
                      teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

ha....found out the possible bug!!!!! it has something to do with the "global material" which gets imported with the DWG file....once the objects have vray material applied the problem disappears
                        teabag studios

www.teabagstudios.com

Comment

yes it will be the global material. It is an "architectural" material type which is based on the raytrace material which vray doesnt like too much.
                          Chris Jackson
                          Shiftmedia
                          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Working...
                          X