Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray & Dreamscape Problem

Hello friends !

I've tested Vray with Dreamscape, and I've got some serious problems.

a) Vray Sky
    If I use Vray Sky and GI, my SeaMaterial from Dreamscape is getting pure white. That means, the power of the Sky is burning out this material. I've tried to reduce the Sky Settings to a minimum, but that wasn't really a big help.

I would like to render everything with Vray, because it'smore comftable for me, but that seems to be a big issue.

Any ideas, how I can use Dreamscape with Vray, without having this material problem ?

b) Foam
    I can produce a foam on my sea surface created with Dreamscape. But in this case, I do have also a material problem.
    For the foam I've used again the SeaMaterial from Dreamscape, and in the Foam Sloat there comes the DreamScape Foam.

I can see it clearly in the viewport, but in the render using vray it doesn't take effect. Here a snapshot:

I've made different tests, and I could find out, if I use no GI and no Vray Sky and the default scanline render, I can see the foam on my rendered images.

I don't know if this is a bug, or I did something wrong here.. I just was wondering about that all, and on the Dreamscape support and forum the guys really don't know.

Is it a Vray issue ?
    Hmm, as more as I am thinking about, I really can't believe, but I have no solution yet.

thx a lot for every little help,
    bernhard
    www.bernhardrieder.com
    rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Tbh I don't see anything too complex in using a vray material for the sea itself, it's just a dark blue diffuse with a fresnel reflection. Also for the foam, you can render out the map to a black and mask and use a vray blend material to layer over a white vray material. Admittedly not a solution to your problem here but it'd be one of the easier ones to get around if things start getting tight for time.

Comment

there is a thread some where around this forum about some foam experiences...u should dig it up...

other than that the white relectance seems perfectly normal imo...thats how i recall seeing it everytime i look at the ocean outside...the way around (the same as in real life) other than overriding the reflection is to reduce the exposure on ur camera's settings.
      Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
      nuno@ene-digital.com
      00351 917593145

Comment

hmmm...

Thank you for your replies.

@joconnell:
        Hm, well I was never thinking about using a vray material instead of the dreamscape material. I think that's really a good idea.

But now I am a little bit confused, how I can bring the calculated and rendered foam bitmaps from the dreamscape plugin on my sea surface.

I mean, how I can I use a bitmap sequence in my vray material ?

The Dreamscape plugin was calculating the foam on the surface, and the result was rendered in a black/white bitmap sequence.

@exe.xis:
        Thank you too. I was searching for a foam material.. hmm, but couldn't find a solution with my bitmap files, generated from dreamscape.

It's important to use these generated bitmaps, because I use dynamics too, and so the foam will fit to the ocean, and the object on the sea.

hmmm... would be great if someone can help me out here, how I can use a bitmap sequence for the foam in a vray material.

Thank you so much for every little help,
        bernhard
        www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

there are issues with dreamscape and scale of foam maps so be careful
          Chris Jackson
          Shiftmedia
          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

i ll try and find that thread!
            i m pretty sure someone came up with a foam solution based on a particle system...wich is i guess what u ll be needing, right?
            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...=foam&start=50
              here ya go!
              Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
              nuno@ene-digital.com
              00351 917593145

Comment

that doesnt respond to Dynamics tho. And the tension modifier is unlikely to be off help. if the foam map you pre-generated works with standard materials then you can use it as a particle source of course.

Thorsten

Comment

hmmm..

thank you guys with all your help, I really appreciate that much.

@jacksc02:
                  thx for the tip, I really could find out some issue prolems with dreamscape. i will be carefully with the bitmap size.

@ene.xis:
                  Thx for finding this thread for me. Yes, I could read it before, but that's nt what I am looking for. Dreamscape does have his own sea surface, and with dynamics I can create my own foam too. Durig the calculation process, you will get a bitmap file, that you can use in the specific dreamscape sea material.

Now it comes.
                  I Iwill use a vray material, I have to use this foam bitmaps too.
                  Otherwise, it would not fit to my dreamscape sea surface.

However, I don't use any particle system yet, and I will not need it for the foam, because Dreamscape calculates this for me.

the only issue I do have is the material. Instead of using the Dreamscape SeaMaterial, I would need to use a Vray Material.

But yes, I would need to know, how I can use in this vraymaterial, the foam bitmaps created from dreamscape. As I said, if I do make an animation for about 100 frames, I get 100 bitmap files as sequence.

I don't know how the DreamScape Material works, because I usually need to check Foam Map in the Dreamscape MAterial, and than the bitmap files which were created, are loaded into the material, and these images were automaticly mapped on the sea surface, so that you can see the foam.

puuuhh.. okay, so would be cool if someone has an answer for me.
                  thx a lot for every little help,
                  bernhard
                  www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

You could probabaly just use a vrayblendmtl, but your ocean surfaces as the base and then another vraymtl in the 1st coat slot with the foam bitmaps in the diffuse and ideally a proper transparency/opacity setup so just the foam shows, and then use the same transparency/opacity map in the blend amount to control the mixing of the foam to ocean.

Actually the vraycomposite might do that better, but I havnt had a chance to use it yet.

Comment

Can you show us the results from scenes, that came with Dreamscape ? For example Foam.max

And now I'm testing Dynamics..... I can clearly see the foam
                      I just can't seem to trust myself
                      So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                      ---------------------------------------------------------
                      CG Artist

Comment

material for foam

Thank you for your great help, I really appreciate that much.

@DaForce:
                        I've tried to use a Blend Material, but it didn't work. I don't know what I did wrong. Hmm, as Paul asked, I've uploaded you the scene file.

@Paul:
                        Yes, with the Dynamcis and everything else i works fine. I can get the foam, and I can see it in my viewport. But when I hit render, I can't see it anymore because my material problem.

I've uploaded you the file, maybe you can see a big mistake I did, or you can fix the material, or whatever I did wrong.

That would really rock.

Here is the scene file:
                        http://www.bernhardrieder.com/ask/Foam_002.zip

thx for every little help,
                        bernhard
                        www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

Now I see - you need VRayBlend material with Dreamscape foam map on it. Seems for me, you don't need to use bitmaps, instead use Dreamscape foam map (sits in da same place, where other maps like falloff etc. located).
                          I just can't seem to trust myself
                          So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                          ---------------------------------------------------------
                          CG Artist

Comment

outsch....

Thank you for your help !

I've tested now all the ways using VrayBendMtl, and outsch.... it doenst' matter which material I choose as base... max crashes all the time after clicking render.....

seems to be a vraymaterial issue.... uff...

Hmm, did it work in your scene file ?

Would be great to know, maybe you would like to send me your file.
                            Would be awesome.

Thx for all your help guys, I really appreciate that !
                            great people - great forum.

bernhard
                            www.bernhardrieder.com

Comment

I don't think it will work to use the dreamscape material inside a VRayBlendMtl material. You might have better luck using the standard Blend or Shellac materials in 3dsmax.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                              X