No announcement yet.

Vray & Dreamscape Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quite simple in this case, put a vray material in the base slot of the vrayblendmtl for your main sea - make it a dark blue and highly reflective with fresnel turned on. Then in coat material #1, put a white vray material which will be used for your white caps. In the blend amount slot of material #1, put in the bitmap sequence that dreamscape has generated and it will use it as a mask to blend between the foam and sea material.

Comment

Basically like I said

Which .. he couldnt manage to get it working

Comment

dont forget that the foam map only works in a dreamscape material so a dreamscape material must be used somewhere

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

That was some theory, sorry
          Never used VrayBlend with dreamscape maps...
          I just can't seem to trust myself
          So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
          ---------------------------------------------------------
          CG Artist

Comment

Arnt the foam maps/bitmaps just regular bitmaps?

So just sticking them on the mesh should render them fine.

Comment

here is where the main problem lies. the mapping. sure dreamscape can output a bmp file sequence of the foam. the problem however is that a dreamscape grid uses its own mapping coordinates that can only be applied to the mesh by using the dreamscape materials foam map. Ive tried with Here is the other part. the dreamscape sea bump doesnt work in any other material either. ive tried in standard and in vray. and i know you would say to use a noise map but the dreamscape seabump is far superior. All of those things are geared to work with dreamscape only more or less.

MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with

Comment

puuhh...

Hello friends !

Okay, I could finish my first test. Here is the result.

@joconnel:
                Okay, your vray material idea (to use the bitmap foam sequence from dreamscape in a vrayblend mtl) worked. But only, if I use vraymaterials - that means, I can't use the dreamscape material with this solution.

@vlado:
                YES, you were right with your thinking. I've tested it, and I could find out, that the dreamscape material doesn't work in the vrayblend material.
                I don't know why, but it is NOT working. But it was fine with a Blend mtl.

@Da_elf:
                Okay, the only thing what I didn't understand until yet: Why the foam map should work only with the dreamscape material ?

I could see that I can use the bitmap sequence in a regular vraymaterial too. What exactly do you mean, I couldn't understand this issue, but I am pretty sure you can tell me more about that.

The question is:
                Do you think, I can use the Dreamscape Material, including the Foam Map and Bump map in a regular Blend material ? And I will not have the prolems you were talking about ? In his case, I have to use the created foam bmp sequence as mask, but the foam map would be also in the oroginal dreamscape material.

If I will find a solution for all that, I think it's worth it to write a litle summary about that, because I think this seems to be an issue more and more poeple will get confrontated.

Thx for every little info, help and suggestion,
                bernhard
                www.bernhardrieder.com
                rieder.bernhard@gmail.com

Comment

@joe how would you map the bmp sequence onto the surface. you cant add a uvw modifier to a dreamscape mesh properly.

the problem is that the mapping of the bitmap sequence only works through the foam map when "Use exported map" option is turned on in the dreamscape mesh. do a test where you use the mapping through a dreamscape sea surface then do one where you try to map using beats me.....what...what would you use, the boundries of a dreamscape surface keep moving so basically a uwv mapping modifier wouldnt work. The surface has its own mapping setup by default and only the foam map knows how to use it. unfortunately the foam map doesnt show up when used in other materials other than the dreamscape one. Even if you load the bitmaps into a bitmap map as in ifl then how would it know how to map the bmp files onto the surface, only the foam map knows how to do that. In my books the whole thing is frustrating. this illustrates the difference in mapping between the two. see they are different

Comment

I know this is an old thread, but I have a project coming up and need to know if Dreamscape can do breaking waves, or at least foam on a shoreline. Does vray work ok with dreamscape ? Basically, I have an island or 2 being viewed from above and need to make an animated shoreline waves breaking on every section of coast..It doesnt need to be super real, but at least needs to show a good indication of waves breaking and foam.
                    Any help appreciated
                    EDIT: No necessarily breaking waves..just foam would be good enough..
                    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

You can create foam along shorelines and other objects yes. You can't create breaking waves.

Regards,
                      Thorsten

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
                        You can create foam along shorelines and other objects yes. You can't create breaking waves.

Regards,
                        Thorsten
                        And this can be animated ? Not worried about breaking waves really, just foam. Im trying with vray dirt and getting some of the way there..
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

are there any solutions for doing breaking waves?
                          Chris Jackson
                          Shiftmedia
                          www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

theres a pdf on how they did the waves in surfs up but it was done in maya. ive given it a try in max but their loft method is very flawed and screws it all up. nurbs doesnt help either

Comment

Working...
                            X