Errors and Max Quiting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Errors and Max Quiting

Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.
    I seem to be having problems with seemingly random errors which will either cause an error to appear whilst rendering such as these (they seem to differ quite a bit):

Or just cause max to quit with out any warning when I hit the render button.

My computer is a dual core 6400 with 2gig RAM the scene is smallish with about 260,000 polys, all vray materials with no plugins being used and most material are standard colours or texture maps with only a few having any reflection or refraction and no glossy reflections. The lighting is vray lights with a direct light as a sun with shadow map shadows.
    I’m using Irradiance Map for the first bounce and light cache for the second.
    I’m using max 7 sp1 with Vray 1.47.03 as its an old project being amended (btw it didn't used to do this)

It doesn’t seem to do at a regular place its all very random, I can render a frame and it will crash then open straight back up and render again and it will be fine... sometimes it will crash straight if I render straight from starting up.

<edit> memory usage is around 250mb physical and 500mb virtual according to the max render window

Any help greatly appreciated

It is hard to say what may be the problem right away; if you can get me the scene to vlado@chaosgroup.com, I will be able to tell you more.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

thankyou very much, ill send it over tomorrow morning when i get back in the office. In the mean time i have merged everything into a fresh scene and run the script to make sure all materials are vray so ill see if this has any benefit, It did seem to have speeded up the lightcache pass already!

Comment

Hi Vlado,
        I have sent you a new file as my efforts to merg into a new file and generally clean up have not worked.
        Hopfully you can shed some light on this.

Cheers,
        Steve

Comment

It looks like it renders with newer builds of V-Ray; I will try the original 1.47 build to see what is the exact issue there.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

thanks Vlado you're a star! i have tried it with 1.5 rc3 and max 9 but i would rather keep it in 7 with 1.47 if i can just because its and old job that was originally done in this.

Also it does take longer to render in 1.5 mainly i think beacuse it take longer to transform the vertex and the last square take a while to finish.

The fact that it doesn't always crash at the same point i should imagine makes it tough to find the cause.

You help is much appreciated!

Comment

Vlado,
              Did you manage to find anything with the file i sent that may be causeing the problems?
              Thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X