Dongle and license issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dongle and license issues

I'm using max 8 and RC3 with the dongle. It works fine for awhile, then it looses the license. Anyone have any ideas? My max license seems to be timing out too....it never did this before the dongle. I'm thinking they are related. Any ideas?

any software based firewalls on your pc or the one with the dongle in it?

Try shutting those down and see if it helps.

Comment

I can't comment on the 3dsmax license thing; the dongle is not related to it in any way, as far as I know.

As for the V-Ray license being lost, the first question is if you are running the license server locally on the same machine, or on another machine in the network. If it is the second, then this can happen if for some reason the machine fails to connect to the license server, and the server flushes the license.

Once a machine is connected to the license server, it will periodically (about once in 30 seconds) ping the server to see if it is still there. If the license server does not receive a ping from a machine in about 1 minute, it will free the licenses taken up by that machine. However if the machine is still running, subsequent license requests from it will fail.

What you can try, is the next time when you lose the V-Ray license, open the license server web page and see what it says there (e.g. if it lists your machine as connected to the license server or not). If it is not listed, then you can email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com and we'll try to work around this.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by DaForce
        any software based firewalls on your pc or the one with the dongle in it?

Try shutting those down and see if it helps.
        If it comes down to it I may try this...although my IT department will probably freak out on me.

Originally posted by vlado
        As for the V-Ray license being lost, the first question is if you are running the license server locally on the same machine, or on another machine in the network. If it is the second, then this can happen if for some reason the machine fails to connect to the license server, and the server flushes the license.
        The license server is local on the machine I use on a daily basis, but I'll take a look at the license server web page next time it happens (it happens quite a lot so it shouldn't take too long).

Another thing I forgot to mention is my computer will no longer participate in network rendering via backburner. I've got 60 other computers that do fine, but the computer I use all day long just errors out and says "[V-Ray] Could not obtain a license"

thanks guys.

Comment

Here is what it looks like when it's working.

And after awhile when it doesn't work anymore.

Comment

Some IT dept if they freak out about having the software firewalls off.. software firewalls are such a waste of time IMO. They are only a hinderance as far as im concerned.

But hey.... /rant mode off

Weird, those images are kind of the opposite of what I would expect.

Comment

When it does not work, is it possible that you have another copy of 3dsmax running somewhere in the background (e.g. if you check the Task Manager)?

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

When it does not work, is it possible that you have another copy of 3dsmax running somewhere in the background (e.g. if you check the Task Manager)?
                I very rarely run two sessions of max, but I'll check to see if there is some kind of phantom session of max running when my license times out. Vlado, do those screen grabs of the license server web page look correct. DaForce thought they looked the opposite of what they should.

Comment

I rendered a test simple test scene 11 times and everything was fine. On the 12th attempt I get the error.

Also, there is just the one session of max running.

Comment

that makes me think its network related?

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Originally posted by percydaman
                      that makes me think its network related?
                      Even thought the dongle is plugged into the PC that I'm using to render?

Comment

I may have forgotten that you were referring to a dongle.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

Well, if you wish you can email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com and I'll get you a newer build that hopefully works better.

Best regards,
                          Vlado

Comment

Well, if you wish you can email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com and I'll get you a newer build that hopefully works better.

Best regards,
                            Vlado
                            Vlado, still having this problem. I've sent a couple of email to you but haven't heard anything.

Comment

Hello Gary,

Check your email (I apologize for the delay).

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Working...
                              X