Just a little crash here and there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just a little crash here and there

Well...The pool scene I am working on is crapping out on me at render time. Resolutions over 2000px just send me to the "Send a report thing" to Autodesk...Like that's gonna help me. LOL... The scene isnt that complicated and I just cant figure it out....Anyone have any suggestions for tests that I can do. Thanx
    Eric Camper
    Studio 3D
    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Crash

When this happens to me I collapse everything to an editable mesh.
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Does the Vray message window throw up anything prior to a crash,
      if so it could be a memory issue, (I've had my share - all pc related in fairness to vray)
      have you displacement on? try knocking if off,
      try rendering from backburner,
      have you the 3gb switch enabled?

all pretty broad suggestions, but they worked for me on my older system.

Tom
      Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

Comment

you might want to give us some more info Eric.
        It does sound like a memory issue though
        Chris Jackson
        Shiftmedia
        www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

sorry for the vague questions...LOL...But I was in a hurry to get out of the office and just threw out a question...

The 3gb switch doesnt apply as I have XP 64 and 4GB....Dual Quad Core 5355 Quadro fx 4500..etc..

I will try the displacement turned off...But still....Damn I have 4Gb...LOL...
          I am positive it is NOT vray....But of course the experts are all here....Nothing pops up in the window that I can see...It just dies...

Bobby...I will also try that one too....I assume you do that then undo?

Thanx all
          Eric Camper
          Studio 3D
          www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

I think it could be a problem of RAM. 4 gigs isnt too much for 8 cores. i have a core 2 duo 6600 with 4 gigs and in some cases it crash and thats only 2 cores. if a i had the privilege to have a dual quadcore i will think at least in 8 gigs of ram.

i hope that helps

Onz

Comment

Eric, bring up the process manager and watch the memory usage and when it crashes make a note of the memory usage of 3dsmax.exe.

Comment

Here ya go...This was a 1600x1200 test render....I did not crash as I stopped it during the 3rd prepass....but I never remember it getting that far....And actually, I have never SEEN it crash.....I just see the report thingy....anyway....I just can;t see why I am using 1700 megs of memory after and 1245 before....Trying to turn off displacement then do another test
                Eric Camper
                Studio 3D
                www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

betcha it renders without displacement

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

hehe....yup...turned it off and BAM...it finished.....But I have not done it higher than that yet. The client is coming in to add some plants and get other views on the table
                    Eric Camper
                    Studio 3D
                    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

dont underestimate the difficulties of micro poly displacement. Especially in high resolution renders.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

you wouldn't have be using 3D displacement instead of 2d ?
                        My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

Working...
                        X