Backburner for IR Calcs and Rendering with Animation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backburner for IR Calcs and Rendering with Animation

We're trying to develope a stable method for submitting our animation jobs to the backburner to incorporate both the IR Calc's and Final Renderings for our shots. We are getting unpredictable results - sometimes it works but mostly it does not.

Here's our basic setup for doing what we're doing now:

-We set our frame range with every 10 to 15 frames to be calced
    -We check "don't render final image" in the Global Switches
    -We set our Irradiance Map to "Incremental add to current map" and specify a save file location on the network (viewable by all slaves)
    -We enable autosave option and target the same file created above (just in case)
    -We submit the network render to backburner and select one slave to preform this oporation

Now we send the rendering job:

-We set every Nth frame back to 1 and specifiy a save file location
    -We uncheck "Don't render final image" in the Globals
    -We switch the Irradiance Map to "From File" and point to the IR map created in the first step above
    -We submit the network render to backburner
    -While in the backburner menu, we make this job dependant on the IR calc job sent previously
    -We pray for the best...

Questions:

Is this an acceptable tried and true technique for stable, predictable network rendering of IR map based animation projects?

Am I missing any steps?

Is there a better way?

Most of the time, we'll come back to the office in the morning to see half of our frames with random black patches all around where it's obvious the IR map didn't get calced for thos areas. But like I said, we have had some success doing it this way also so I'm confused as to why we're having soo much trouble.

I would appreciate some advice on this. Naturally, deadlines are looming

Thanks guys - Dave

we do exactly the same, I think like everybody else...but we set every 5 to 10 frames, even that we have problems in some areas, to fix that I generate extras IRmaps to merge them with the main one, it seems to work. About the settings we are using adaptive QMC 1/16 and all the exterior lights (sun and vray light for the skylight with 16 subdiv).

We've tryed QMC+LC, of course the rendertimes are very high but it seems the way to go or at least for HD outputs.
    show me the money!!

Comment

So in your eyes, we're not doing anything out of the ordinary then?

I forgot to mention we're using MAX 9 64bit on Win XP 64bit with Vray 1.5 rc3 64bit.

Comment

We use the same process as you do and for the most part we have success. I have found however that some times the computer calculating the IR map will have trouble saving to the network drive. I don't know if this is due to a bug or if it's network traffic but when this happens the IR map gets screwed up. We are now going to start saving the IR maps to the computers hard drive who is doing the initial calculations, once it's finished we'll move the file to the network drive. I don't know if this will fix your problem but it will take one more variable out of the equation.

Comment

I got the same configuration as well...I'm making a lot testing with different conditions:
          -With animated objects QMC+LC
          -animated target( paning a room) without animated objects, actually I found very useful making a single frame using a cubic camera and export it as HDRI in very high resolution ...and using it as environmental map with just a camera paning around....save tons of time!!!!!
          -Animated object with IRmap (in passes)
          show me the money!!

Comment

Devin,

Thanks. Ya I was afraid of that. You see, I'm trying to eliminate as much "baby sitting" as possible so that virtually everything can be taken care of once you leave the office. With your approach, and its' the approach I will now adapt, I've got to spend the work day precalcing IR maps and then relocating them to their new network locations for the evening rendering.

I guess that's what I'll do next and see what happens.

Thanks - Dave

Comment

Flino,

Have you ever encountered trouble with Flythrough mode for Lightcache? Our shots actually use a combo of IR and LC, but when we try to precalc our Lightcaches along side with our IR's, the LC seems to jump to the last animated frame of the camera and solve from there. So we decided to just let the LC calculate frame per frame with the rendering process - didn't seem to affect noise at all. Thoughts?

Thanks - Dave

Comment

No woories about that... The LC compiled all frames in one go.
                Your process is the right one. We had a lot of troubles like you describe untill we went through a good network.

A tip : http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...=168144#168144

Arno

Comment

I got the video tutorial " Speed vs Quality in Vray" by Chris Nichols and he uses for this tutorial 600 subdivs with 8 passes...it should be a reason for that..I'll make a little test with those settings.
                  I made a mistake calculating the LC turning the option "Store direct light" ON...I got very dark images after use the Pre-calculated LC

BTW, I'd recomend you buy this tutorial(it's only $7.00).
                  http://gnomonology.com/tutorial/62

Fernando
                  show me the money!!

Comment

Working...
                  X