No announcement yet.

DR nodes dropping out..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here, since upgrading to 2008 i can't get DR to work. 32 bit works no problem, 64 bit just aint having any of it.

Comment

What's weird is that the problem only occurs in some files. Its as if there is some particular kind of geometry or object that is causing the nodes to drop off... I need to figure out what it is. I'm fairly certain that the issue is with Max, not Vray.
      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Do you have a copy of such a file that you can send to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com for investigation?

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Cilfton, funny you should say that, i had a file i was testing DR with the other day which i knew rendered fine with max 9 x64, but 2008 wouldn't touch it until i removed all Vray proxys from the scene.
          But I tried the same on another scene and it just still would not render...
          Vlado, i'll get something over to you.

Comment

Ok I've found the problem, it's not the proxies, it appear's to be a car model i use quite abit in my scenes.
            The model its self is open within a group, with alot of turbo smooth modifers applied to it, as soon as i convert it to an editable poly/mesh the scenes render fine. If i delete everything except the car and do not convert it, it also renders, strange?!
            Vlado, do you want me to send the car model over to test??

Comment

That's interesting, I also group some of my geometry, sometimes leaving it as an open group. Will have to run some tests soon.
              .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

Originally posted by jow View Post
                Ok I've found the problem, it's not the proxies, it appear's to be a car model i use quite abit in my scenes.
                The model its self is open within a group, with alot of turbo smooth modifers applied to it, as soon as i convert it to an editable poly/mesh the scenes render fine. If i delete everything except the car and do not convert it, it also renders, strange?!
                Vlado, do you want me to send the car model over to test??
                Sure, if I can reproduce this here, it will be very helpful.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

I've sent the car model over.
                  Let us know how you get on.
                  Thanks.

Comment

Doesn't seem to matter if the groups are open or closed, nodes still drop out.

One other thing I've also been experiencing is a sporadic loss of license - the materials editor seems to hang untill the license is picked up again. If I click on the render panel during one of these periods it's all blank and there's a message saying the license can't be found. If I wait for 5 mins or manually restart the vray license server it'll pick the license back up.

If this happens during dr rendering could spawners drop out?

Never had this problem with the old software license so my suspicious finger points directly to that damn wibu thingy.....

...but I've been wrong many times before...
                    .:www.mcphersonyachtdesign.com:.

Comment

I'm have a similar but different problem .

We recently changed domains and i think the access rights have been changed somehow. DR was working a dream but now it works fine the first time the spawner is launched but after that I get "warning: Could not connect to host (IP address):No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. the only change to the set up is the domain.

Very occacionally some on them work but more often they dont. If i quit the spawner and relaunch it, again it will work the first time but then dropp off after the first render. I think this must be a permissions issue but can't locate where the temp files are stored to check this out so if someone could point me in the right direction or if someone knows any other reasons for this it would be very much appreciated.

I am using Viz2008, vray1.5sp1 and backburner appears to functioning fine.

Thanks Greg
                      Last edited by grasshopper; 18-01-2008, 03:20 AM.
                      Greg

Comment

I have been donig i little bit more digging and i'm now sure it's a temp file permissions/locations issue. My vray log on the slave machine is loading files from the old unused profile (log in name) instead if the new one.

It's loading
                        [2008/Jan/18|09:45:52] Scene loaded from "C:\Documents and Settings\greg\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\VIZ\9 - 32bit\enu\temp\vray_server_scene.max"

if i under stand correct, Viz send a temp file to the slave machine and stores it to a local folder and then deletes it -
                        C:\Documents and Settings\LOGIN NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\VIZ\9 - 32bit\enu\temp\vray_server_scene.max"

Now i never log into the slaves with the name greg. After the domain change I am not even logging into my workstation with that name. Workstation logon name is GSteel and slave login is edinadmin. All slaves seem to be doing this and now i don't even understand how they worked before.

So how can i tell the slaves to save the temp file in the correct place?? Hope I am explaining this correct!
                        Greg

Comment

That makes a lot of sense. In addition to nodes dropping off, the nodes sometimes seem to be rendering another scene, or not seeing all the latest geometry changes at render time. This would certainly indicate a permissions or temp file location issue...

Comment

V-Ray asks 3ds Max for the location of the temporary folder. You can change this from the 3ds Max main menu, Customize > Configure System Paths > System tab, the Temp path.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Does that temp folder need to be in a location where all the nodes can see it?

Comment

Thanks Vlado, I rebuilt my ini files and Vraydummy files and managed to solve that issue. Unfortunately it dosen't seem to have solved the nodes failing. I'll keep experimenting
                                Greg

Comment

Working...
                                X