VrayPhysicalCam - Animating target dist doesn't affect FOV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayPhysicalCam - Animating target dist doesn't affect FOV

We are rendering out a film with multiple greenscreen filmed scenes, all fused together into one smooth camera move.

To do this we are using the VrayPhysicalCamera to make the linking shots, but since we are moving between camera matched shots which all have slightly different lenses, we need to animate the lens of the camera as it moves.

Animating the field of view is fine.

We are then animating the target distance - as this also affects the field of view - but changing the target distance with animate on doesn't change the field of view. This is reproducible very easily, create a camera, turn on animate, and change the distance - the field of view remains solid. This means we are unable to precisely match all the cameras - is there a way around this short of doing each one by eye?

Ideally I'd like to have a checkbox to decouple the focal distance from the brightness and field of view... (See wishlist post http://www.chaosgroup.com/forum/phpB...=186264#186264)

Sam
    www.pixelpollen.com
    www.oovfx.com

You can turn on the "Specify focus" option in the camera, and animate the "focus distance" parameter instead. From I can see, this does affect the FOV in animation (not quite sure why animating the target doesn't, but I'll take a look).

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Why does the target distance affect the fov? Is actually it how real cameras work and therefore a deliberate design? I've actually had this cause me issues with being able to export the values from a vray camera to a camera in nuke. effectively a 43mm focal length camera needed to be converted to a 48mm(ish) camera to get it to match the fov from a camera that had a target distance of 0.4 of a meter. Coming from a max scene in mm units.

And converting from a Max camera to vray camera (using lele scripts etc also generates the same fov discrepancy.

Cheers

DaveMcD

Comment

Originally posted by davemcd View Post
        Why does the target distance affect the fov? Is actually it how real cameras work and therefore a deliberate design?
        This is correct, yeah.

Comment

Working...
        X